Monday, April 19, 2010

To Retro or Not to Retro.

This past weekend Greg and I made progress in leaps and bounds. The Nursery is officially electrically charged, there is a working ceiling fan connected to the niftiest switch I've ever seen. There are no holes in the walls, and everything has spackled once. Sanding, more spackling, more sanding, painting, and flooring are next on the nursery to-dos.

We also moved 3/4 of the working kitchen into the dining room. We're still working out kinks and there's still a good amount that needs to be removed from the kitchen into the dining room (plates? cups? who needs those...).

Work on remodeling the kitchen is to officially begin on April 24th.

Exciting.

And a lot of pressure.

I'm usually responsible for the design vision behind ONE room remodel at a time. It gives me a chance to really mull it over aka obsess. I'm a little overwhelmed with having the nursery AND the kitchen going on at the same time.

The Nursery is mostly decided I think.

This is the nursery I decided to use as inspiration:


The Color on the walls is Benjamin Moore, Apple. Greg is appalled by it. However, Here is a link to the same exact nursery without the sunlight streaming in. So while he'll argue with me till he's blue in the face about painting the nursery that first color, he's totally fine with that second one. And the fact that they're the same color means that I win.

We bought six of these table clothes:
From bed bath and beyond while they were on sale. We'll be using them as curtains.

We're getting black furniture - Black crib, black dresser, black chair.

There are some details that are up for grabs, but here's the basic design:


Crib bedding is NOT decided. That IS the correct rug. Ugly Dolls are definitely coveted. And those Graziela Prints are also much coveted. Obviously the color will not be quite so seizure-bright. I'd love to hear what you think!



So now, I'm slowly and reluctantly turning my attention to the kitchen - which, for obvious reasons, I find completely daunting.

There are some choices that have already been made for me. We're keeping the budget on this one as low as possible - so we're definitely doing an Ikea kitchen and we're definitely doing their standard white (least expensive) cabinets.

We will be keeping the same fridge and almost definitely we are keeping our stove - which works just fine, so I can get over the fact that it's not the prettiest stove on the block.

I'm really struggling with the relationship between the Floor, the Backsplash, the Countertop, and the wall color.

I love black Countertops. I especially love those black stone countertops with a tiny bit of sparkle to them. (Not yet priced out) Assuming that we get a lovely black countertop, what should the floor and backsplash be? Should the only color in the room be the painted wall color, which will only really be visible at the top of the room above the cabinets?

We've looked into vinyl flooring versus tile flooring, and Although vinyl is a bit less expensive, Greg has more experience with tile and we both think it'll wear better than vinyl. So we're looking into (preferably $5 per square foot or less) tile. Here's the look I like:


I love black and white checkered flooring.

First of all, they're fairly large tiles - easier to deal with. Second, we can probably get a good deal on black and white tile for floor! Third, I think it would look great with black countertops and a simple white subway tile backsplash.

Drawback? Greg hates it.

He hates the black and white checkered-ness.

I don't know how to get around it!

So let's ignore the floor for now.

What if, instead of a plain white gloss subway tile for a backsplash, we made it something more like this:

Or

These are Glass subway tile back splashes. I can't figure out exactly what that second picture has that makes it so pretty... but the tile I've priced out that is in that first picture is probably about $15.00 per square foot making it quite a bit more expensive than what we'd guessed we might want to pay for it.

And THEN, do I still do black countertops? What do we do on the floor then? White tile? Are white tile floors okay or do they seem too laundry-room?

I'm confused and frustrated.

What do you all think of the black and white checkered floor? Are there any rules I should be following for what kind of color relationship the backsplash, countertop, and floor should have? Are there rules I should follow for creating a generic (yuck) kitchen that will appeal to all types of people or should I feel free to go with the flow - Is black and white checkered too much personality? What about blue or green subway glass tile? What about this?



Opinions welcome!!

12 comments:

twelvedaysold said...

White tile floors can still look great. And you don't have to get it completely plain, it can have a nice pattern to it that is just really mild.

LOVING the green baby's room. How fun! I think the contrast of the black and green will be perfect. I'm excited to see the finished pictures! I love all of your remodels.

Birdy: The Mighty said...

I'm with that chicka up there. I love that baby room. The green is just amazing. I can't wait to see the finished project.

Jessica said...

I love that first backsplash picture--I wanted glass tiles very similar to those, but they were too rich for my blood, too. I'm buying them when we move to our forever house, though.

I guess I'm on Greg's side today, because I'm not feeling the nursery color (too bright in both pictures) and I'm not a fan of black and white checkerboard (I think it's overdone).

That picture kind of looks like dark brown and cream checkerboard, although maybe my eyes are going. I like the combo of dark brown and cream more than black and white, or you could do tan and cream, blue and white and so on.

Carry the same colors through in some form, even if it's just the tiny background color accents. My counters are dark charcoal gray with black, brown and cream flecks. The cabinets and walls are cream, the floor is cherry laminate (not straight cherry, more like a mix of Minwax Natural and Minwax Cherry) and the backsplash is a sandstone-ish vinyl tile. All the browns tie together nicely. I have yellow accents now; I have had pink and turquoise in the past, not at the same time. With a neutral palette basically anything goes as far as paint or accents.

My rule is to go neutral on the stuff that's hardest/most expensive to change. But if you're planning on staying for a long time and a colored glass tile backsplash floats your boat, do it.

I love the blog Colour Me Happy (http://colourmehappyblog.blogspot.com/) for color tips and advice.

Pieces of Me said...

My husband and I are currently building our first home. And the kitchen has left me stumped as well. I agree with you on the black counter-tops; I love that look. We have a great room, so our flooring will be the same throughout the living room, dining room and kitchen. I *think* we're going with a dark wood flooring, white cabinets and a light greenish yellow on the walls. At least, that's what I think this week!

PS. Love the nursery!

Lisa said...

non-laminate countertops are frustratingly expensive. like, laminate is super cheap and then the next option the price jumps significantly... which sucks because I like the same stuff you do but you may find it eats your entire budget to get it. :(

I personally like the checkerboard floor but if you have to go plain on the floor (large white tiles?) then I'd go with some colour in the backsplash. If you go checkered on the floor, then white subway tiles would be perfect for the backsplash (I luuuuuve subway tile).

(you know about www.houzz.com as a place for inspiration photos, yes?)

kathy said...

That inspiration room is just too cute! I agree with the practical advice that going neutral for the permanent stuff is probably a wise choice, but I do love those colored glass tiles!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the bub! Have you committed to black on the furniture? It seems to me brown is easier. It's hard to find cute bedding that coordinates with black. Check out these elephants!
http://www.target.com/DwellStudio-Target-Hippo-Bedding-Collection/dp/B002LEVBBU

I like these for your current colors:
http://www.target.com/Sumersault-Baby-Bedding-Collection-Geo-Brights/dp/B002ED1186
http://www.overstock.com/Baby/Sumersault-On-the-Go-Boy-4-piece-Crib-Bedding-Set/4429416/product.html

Also check out Ikea Barnslig.

Have fun :)

Eileen said...

I don't have anything particular to say on the whole scheme--but I do have black marble countertops with some sparkle, and they show EVERY bit of dirt with which they come in contact. Like, you lean on the counter and it leaves a smudge. Granted, it's easier to remember what needs cleaning, but still. It's immensely frustrating to think you need to clean every single time you go into the kitchen. A more forgiving neutral--or at least a matte counter instead of marble, which is obviously expensive anyway--would be my choice.

Anonymous said...

you sound like a really cool person really interested how your tests came out i am type 2 and had gestational diabetes with all three of my boys bad news is it comes back but i never had a sugar reaction like that makes you tired usually if you diabetic dont care bout room want to see BABY love the skirt you made and will read the blog cause yours is the first one ive read that is actually interesting

Kathy said...

I really like the retro design of this home here in your blog. It looks so funky and unique. And the floors are extremely beautiful. Like you, I'm a retro and funky kind of person and the floor tile(s) (Tampa) in my home also has retro feel. But I'm planning to go to a flooring showroom next week to see great and unique floors for my home.

Divine Oblivia said...

The blue subway tile's beautiful, though I think subway tile's going to be the avocado fridge of the early 21st Century. Very timely, very sums-up-that-decade. Um, cliche.

I'd go with the green tesserae myself. No question at all here! It does something TO me. Very refreshing, and the small squares, very classic.

But then, I'd have one backsplash that was pique assiette, of course -- I haven't been saving up all that broken china (and buying it on eBay) for nothing! Even some half-teacups. With the green, I think I'd broken-china the tea-making area, not the backsplash to the sink, mostly for leaks' sakes.... LOVE that GREEN! Oh, MAN! But you have to live with it, not me. That blue is truly lovely, and I'm planning to use robins egg blue in my house as well. (But right now I live in a vivid green room, a good color for healing my bald head.)

Vaibhav said...

Can I simply say what a aid to seek out someone who truly is aware of what they are talking about on the internet. You undoubtedly know the right way to deliver an issue to gentle and make it important. Extra individuals must learn this and perceive this side of the story. I cant believe you are no more popular because you positively have the gift. black stone tiles