Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Blizzards and Uselessness

So, Pittsburgh (and much of the Mid Atlantic States) has been snowed in. The roads are worse than anyone can remember, it's so bad that my work has been closed for the last two days and will be closed again tomorrow.

Greg, unfortunately, still has to journey out to his work - but he's a good snow driver and he calls to let me know he got there safely.

I'm not sure if it's been the funk of still recovering from being sick, the funk of not having worked on anything crafty for the better part of three months, or the funk of being pregnant - but I stay in my pajamas all day while Dexter naps at my feet - twitching and snuffling in his doggy dreams. I watch the morning news, and then Ellen. Then I watch as much of The Doctors as I can tolerate, switching to Judge Mathis when I can no longer stomach it. The People's Court is next and then two hours of blurriness. There's nothing good on between 1:00 and 3:00. At 3:00 Dr. Phil comes on which is sometimes trashy and sometimes thought provoking. At 4:00 I watch Judge Judy verbally eviscerate some folks, and then at 5:00 I avoid the news for a second helping of Judge Mathis which is not at all satisfying because I find his kind of justice significantly less satisfying than that of Judge Judy or The People's Court. The People's Court comes on again at 6:00, and then I'm free of the yolk of Daytime TV to watch recorded shows with Greg.

I nap in and out, and I eat when the fancy strikes me or when I feel like I should probably force myself to eat something. I've officially discovered that the Nausea has not left me. The only reason I am keeping it at bay is because a doctor on my team of OBGYN's suggested I take half a Unisom before going to bed every night because that would help with morning nausea. She was right. It makes the nausea worlds better, as evidenced by a few days ago when I forgot to take the Unisom before bed and spent the day feeling miserable, culminating in throwing up an entire BLT sandwich.

You're welcome.

Suffice to say, my days are long and lonely and sad. I mean it is SAD that I just sit here and let Daytime TV wash over me like a gentle soul-sucking tide. For all I know, I'm suppressing the BABY's development by merely considering watching two helpings of Judge Mathis in one day - let alone by doing that.

I think I need help.

The thing is, I also think I am genuinely tired and that makes me want to lie down. That's the Pregnancy talking, right? I should be feeling a little extra tired, even at only 14 weeks?

Hey - When Do I get a bump? Seriously. I've been pregnant and dealing with this nausea thing - even Pneumonia - and all I have to show for it is having lost a bunch of weight.

Normally I would be rejoicing - Woohoo! Lost weight! And I wasn't even trying! But somehow, it feels like I've been cheated.

I want that round belly - Yes I Have Something Growing In There - feeling. When does that happen? We finally started taking photos of me once a week, but I haven't noticed a change. And yet the doctor's said that my Uterus is a little bit bigger than it should be at this point if I have all my dates right. So where's the bump?

I find myself jealous of other pregnant women because THEY ARE OBVIOUSLY PREGNANT. Me? I'm just a little extra crabby and a little extra picky about my food. And A little less likely to get up and do anything useful with my day.

3 comments:

Bobbi said...

First you are probably recovering from being sick. But yes you can still be tired from all the gestating too.

Second please for all that is lovely and nice about brain cells TURN OFF THE DAYTIME TV. It isn't helping you. In fact it is probably sucking whatever energy you do have right out of you! Grab a book. Turn on some tunes. Watch some old favorite movies. Doodle projects. Maybe even do a simple craft. Do something... anything different for a little while.

Third the bump is coming. Really but with first babies it takes a little bit longer for those tummy muscles to let go. I think I started showing as in visible to ME and pretty much only me around 4 months but I didn't have to wear maternity clothes till 5+ months.

Jessica said...

I agree with Bobbi. Just the thought of all those court shows makes me tired.

The baby bump...it could either take forever to come, or you could wake up one day and look huge. I think I started showing at two months with my first, but he weighed nine pounds when he was born. My second weighed seven pounds and I think it was more toward the fourth month that I started showing with him. Don't worry, it'll come, and then in the third trimester you'll start saying "When is this kid going to be BORN already?" and wishing you could see your toes again.

twelvedaysold said...

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but seriously, you gotta turn off the daytime television. I give my husband the hardest time if I find out he watched a few minutes of Tyra "even if it's only to make fun of her later" on his days off. Pick up a book, or force yourself to knit a couple lines. Comment on people's crafsters. Just don't watch daytime tv. You'll be surprised how much easier those lazy days feel, it's not nearly as depressing.