Thursday, December 3, 2009

It's all been done before...

I am spinningly, twirlingly happy!

How are you doing?



I'll share the slightly negative first. My husband has not yet been sent back to work on site for his last week of duty. They haven't made a decision yet, so every day this week I haven't really known until we both get home at 6:00 p.m. whether or not he's leaving that night! It's been a little stressful - I'm grateful that he's been home, don't get me wrong, but it's very very tough not-knowing.

Also slightly negative - our white cat, Eevee, has miraculously and without warning overcome any and all fear associated with the first floor of our house. We have three cats and a dog. They ALL want to be as close to us as possible, while not being too close to each other. Delilah is a cuddler, but if you shoo her off your lap more than once, she'll take the hint. Ella is a percher - she would perch on your knee or your chest and NOT MOVE all day. She has the patience of stone. She will sit next to you and wait till your will to shoo her away breaks, but she is not "pushy" persay. Dexter, the dog, can be pushy - like any dog - but in general he just wants some piece of his body to be touching some part of your body while he sleeps like a log.

Eevee is pushy. When we got her, she hid under a chair for the first month... THEN we learned her real personality. She will not get a clue no matter how many times you toss her on the floor. She WILL use her claws to cling to your pants or shirt. She will headbutt your hand, head, or face so hard you will be convinced she left a bruise. She also sheds the most, so while this assault is progressing you will slowly be covered in a fine layer of white fur.

When my brother stayed with me for a week, I came home after work that first night and the only real story he had to tell me (with wide eyes) was that, when visiting the facilities, he thought he had closed the bathroom door... but apparently not, because after three loud bumps, the door swung open and Eevee cornered him on the toilet for some very aggressive loving.

He was a little scarred by the experience - thankfully not literally.

Anyway, she has - for the longest time - stayed on the 2nd floor of the house because she has been absolutely terrified by Dexter. The other two cats have acclimated well and have figured out that by merely hissing, he runs for the hills. So since March, Eevee has been the white cat stalking anybody who enters her 2nd floor domain... until now. She has officially returned to the1st floor and seems curiously unimpressed by Dexter. Whereas before we felt bad for her because she refused to come downstairs - now we find ourselves fine-motor-task-challenged because of the aggressive-headbutting and we long, somewhat ashamedly, for the days when she was the 2nd floor haunt.

On the good side, we're having Thanksgiving this weekend! Because we were in California over the official holiday, friends of ours agreed to wait to have Thanksgiving dinner till we got back. Dinner will be on Saturday with an Applewood smoked turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, stuffing, and some cheese and crackers - I'm stoked. PLUS we're going to go get our Christmas trees together on Saturday afternoon. I plan to get another 8-9 foot tree, even though I'm not sure anything will really top last year's tree.


ALSO,

I actually found out through comments on this blog (Thanks burrito!) that I won the Me, My Scarf, and I contest through Craftzine.com and Singer with this scarf:

They're sending me a Singer ProFinish Serger in the mail this week! I've never had a serger before, so this should be really really fun. Any suggestions on what I should try first?

Also, you should check out the runners-up and other entries into the contest because there are some really creative, really gorgeous scarves in there!

Have a great day!

BONUS:

Cell phone capture of my finished attempt at a Where the Wild Things Are inspired Hoodie!


I'll take some better photos with the gloves later!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Congratulations on the scarf. I was wondering!

Kiri said...

Hey! Found you off a link on Craftster. I love that blue color on your walls in the Xmas tree picture - any chance you'd be able to share the name of it? So pretty. And your scarf is awesome! Going to have to save my selvedges now ;) I had been throwing them out b/c one of my cats steals scrap fabric bits and hoards them in the living room... lol