I have other things to discuss.
Important things.
Let me preface this conversation with the following: I am terrified of being infertile. I am excited that Greg and I have a long-discussed plan of action in terms of a timeline for starting our family - but I am terrified something will be wrong with me and it won't happen. I'm sure this is a normal concern - but I'm also scared that even DISCUSSING what I'm about to discuss some how jinxes me. So pardon me while I knock on wood. I want you to mentally insert "If we are lucky enough to conceive a baby" and "if we are fortunate enough to start a family when we desire to do so" before each and every sentence. It'll save me a significant amount of typing.
Here goes.
We've had several life plans. First it was - Greg was going to finish his PhD, then we move closer to family, then we start a family. Then it was, Greg was going to work for a few years, we would make the house sell-able, sell the house, move closer to family, then start a family. Then the job market plummeted so the plan changed. Greg would maintain his stable good job with insurance, I would maintain my stable job with my insurance, we make our house sell-able, sell our house, buy ANOTHER slightly larger house in Pittsburgh, start phase one of the family (baby numero uno), and then we would move closer to family.
Then we realized that there are numerous, affordable, large houses in pittsburgh all over the city and the prospect of moving to another place that would NOT be our forever home was daunting and stressful.
Then we realized that we could stay in our current home.
I mean - yea, sure, it's kind of a two bedroom house and one of the bedrooms is ours and one of the bedrooms is my craftroom...
And we have it set up just so with a lot of stuff already, and don't babies have a lot of stuff?
...
But we do have another room in the house. It's our "front office". It's big enough for a little walking space and a queen sized air mattress. It had a rickety shaking ceiling fan. We haven't finished the electric work for it. It has old-school flooring, and a bay window. It doesn't have a direct heating source - and it has a door we got basically from a thrift store that has a window in it, but it was too big so Greg had to cut it down on one side and now the window is off-center.
So... As I see it, we have one of two options now that we've resolved to stay in this house to start phase 1: FAMILY, and stay here till the job market bounces back.
1) We could put the Crib, Changing table, two 17 inch dressers on either side of the crib, and possibly a glider rocker in the small front office, making it a very cozy nursery.
or
2) We could move my entire craftroom (or make our best effort to do so) into the "front office" and have a much roomier nursery.
This all becomes moot if something catastrophic ( like twins !) happens.
I don't know why this issue (out of the many issues potentially associated with bringing a human being into the world) is something I obsess about.
So, what do you think?
Nursery Vs. Craftroom: Should I relocate the craftroom in favor of a roomier nursery in a million years when we have a baby?
Answer A:
Answer B:
This is a BABY we're talking about!


7 comments:
i tried to vote on the poll thingie and it wouldn't let me submit. i say set the office up for a nursery and leave the craft room alone.
Wait...how far away is the front office from your bedroom? when you're up and down all night with a newborn, you won't want to have to go very far. just another thing to consider.
Oh you are too cute. First don't relocate the craft room just yet. Because really babies don't care where their space is or even what it looks like. What they want are people who love them, cuddle them and meet their needs.
Second babies do take space but not as much stuff as you think you'll need. And you'll be amazed at how much you can cram into a space when you *have* too.
And third we kept our babies (they are 5 and 7 yrs now) in our room with us for the firs couple months. Just a small bassinet tucked into our room but boy did it save me lots walking to get the hungry baby.
I'd say don't stress about it just yet. I'm almost 8 months pregnant right now with our first and while its a big deal, it isn't huge. Right now you have your craft room all decorated nicely so there is no need to move it around. As long as you can keep the temperature comfortable in the front office shove the kid in there. When the kid gets older or there happens to be more than one, then you may want to think about moving rooms.
Many blessings on your prospective journey into parenthood!
I first found your blog because of pictures of your craft room (on Flickr I think). It is absolutely adorable and I don't think you should mess with it!
Like everyone said, babies don't care what their room looks like - it's the parents that want a cute nursery. Besides s/he will be in your room in the beginning.
I agree with everyone. Don't move the craft room. When my kids were infants their rooms were only the place where we kept their stuff. They slept in a bassinet next to my bed until they stopped the night time feedings. As long as you can eventually get the front office in working order, it's a great option, you know from experience it will always take you longer than you think! Looking forward to reading about that transformation!
Eventually I would say yes, put the nursery where your craft room is, but not yet. Unless moving your craft room isn't something you want to deal with once you have a baby. (That's kind of the way I am--if the decision is made, I want it done, although I'd be hard pressed to give up my craft room if it was as nice as yours.)
Our kids slept in our room for at least five months after birth. Even walking just down the hall gets old after you've done it five times in three hours.
I saw a picture of your craft room when googling "craft room ideas" and have fallen madly in love with the color! I have 800 bagillion swatches taped to my wall right now and none of them are the right color. Can you tell me what color this is and what brand? I know it was a loooong time ago, but I'm desperate!!
Thank you!
~janine
Post a Comment