Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Anybody else's partner act like this?

So we were driving around running errands last night, returning items to ikea and picking up storage containers, and at some point I was alone in the car when BAM, I felt a sudden tightening in my lower back and strong discomfort (very similar to the back cramps I experience during a period) and what might have been a small leakage of liquid from you-know-where.

When Greg got back in the car from returning some unnecessary plumbing parts, I was debating whether or not to tell him about the sensations I was experiencing.

Eventually I came clean just to stem the flow of his anxiety - which really didn't work out.

Part of it was that apparently I had a certain look on my face that meant he was missing something - which USUALLY means he's forgotten something he promised we'd do, and I'm waiting for him to figure it out. So he was sitting there getting more and more frustrated by his inability to guess at what store we were supposed to also visit - Baby Gap? Joann's? Marshalls? While I'm sitting there breathing evenly and wondering if this is the start of labor.

When I told him what I was experiencing, he asked a bunch of questions and I reassured him that I could still talk through whatever was going on, and that it wasn't that bad, and that it might be absolutely nothing! Chill! His response was this:

"So this is really going to happen. This is actually going to happen. For real. We're going to be out, minding our own business and all of a sudden you're going to turn to me and say 'My water just broke' or 'I'm going into labor'. And It's going to happen. Really."

He hasn't really gained complete composure since.

I'm glad I told him what was going on, but I'm also not. Because now, whenever we talk (phone or in person) he asks me how I'm feeling twice. Just to make sure I'm not trying to hide the fact that I'm in labor from him. Those crampy sensations have completely subsided, and I'm back to being just regular old uncomfortable-because-there's-a-full-grown-baby-in-my-uterus.

To reassure him further, Last night I promised him that I wouldn't sneak off to the hospital to have the baby without telling him.

He was less than amused.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Well, Greg may not be ammused, but I laughed out loud!

Tamdsgns said...

WOW! First not the topic I expected? came to your blog from Scrapgal. Your Octupus pin cushion is all the rage there:). Looking for tutorial and Wham! I love it! Your poor hubby, so funny!!!!LMAO!