I swore to myself that I wouldn't post again until I take photos of the 10+ banners I FINISHED (BOOYAH) over the weekend, but I obviously lied.
Time is passing all too quickly here in our house. Additionally, we seem to be all too popular, and I wish people would just not like us anymore for a while.
This past weekend, Greg's parents drove all the way out to visit. We picked up stuff to fence in the yard and a gratuitous number of outdoor lights so that, if I am so inclined, I'll be able to count the bugs hiding behind the bushes in the very back of the yard when I take Dexter out at night while Greg is away. It rained a lot, but my mother-in-law still cleaned the kitchen, did the laundry, and helped to fence in the back yard. We also watched about 6 hours of Deadliest Catch. Productive.
This coming weekend, my parents are coming all the way out to visit as sort of a last minute thing. What with all the fall plans falling into place (hah - fall plans "falling"-- get it?), we realized that there were only two weekends we could even be available to have them visit before Christmas and they weren't available for one of those! I get my anal-planning-tendencies honestly from my parents so I was a bit stunned when they said that they would come all the way out to visit. It's a seven hour drive. They usually break it up and give themselves plenty of time, but this time they'll drive all the way out on Friday, stay Saturday, and leave early Sunday morning. Crazy. I really appreciate it, and it'll be great to see them. Additionally, my Mom has volunteered to cook a bunch of meals with me that we can freeze so that I won't actually have to resort to eating my own hair while Greg is gone.
The weekend after THAT, we're going to the Lancaster Renaissance fair with some friends - A trip we've been planning for at least 6 months. It's on my dream to-do-list that I'd be able to throw together 3 renaissance-y cloaks for us (Dork that I am, I already have one), but I'm not sure that's entirely feasible.
The week after THAT, a friend of mine from college is coming out to Pittsburgh on Business and will be available to hang out during the weekend with us. She was a bridesmaid in my wedding and I'm very excited to get to spend some time with her.
The weekend after that we have - GASP - free...
The weekend after that we're going to the family cabin with 8 other friends.
THE NEXT DAY GREG LEAVES FOREVER.
If Forever = 2 weeks.
Then we take our 1 week trip to california over thanksgiving.
Then GREG LEAVES AGAIN FOREVER.
Which means I'll be sad, and decorating for Christmas all by myself. Alone.
The sad-alone-dread-anxious-ugly-monster feeling never leaves me. Can you see how well I'm bearing this?
We're making progress on fixing things around the house that will make us feel safer when he leaves. The yard is fenced, which means I can open the back door and let Dexter run down to the yard to do his business while I hover outside the back door and yell encouraging words like "hurry up!".
The back yard lighting will be a slow process, but I'm hopeful.
Today we'll pick up new front and back door knobs, deadbolts and locks.
I was thinking that maybe those metal covers for windows and doors that Will Smith has in "I Am Legend" might be useful. Especially if zombies rise while Greg's in Maryland. I'll have to run that by him tonight.
What makes you feel safe when you're home alone? What improves your comfort level? What would you suggest?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I don't mind being alone, but I would mind having someone break into my house. We have a door alarm that I got at Ace Hardware for $20. It's just one of those chime alarms (or you can set it to alarm, but that has an entry and exit delay) that is ostensibly to let us know if one of our children is making a break for it, but it would also tell us if someone was trying to break in. Hopefully if someone did try to break in they would hear the menacing chime and run.
Also, and I know I'm not the only weird person who does this, I know what I can use as a weapon in every room of the house. I don't hide knives or anything, but I know what I can pick up if someone does come in. It gives me peace of mind.
I like the Moat idea. Maybe you can pick up a dragon at the Renaissance Faire.
If I were in your situation, I would buy one of those light timers. That way, if by chance anyone is looking to rob you, they will think that you are home and awake. Making it known that you have a dog can also be a good deterrent...criminals don't know that your dog is a lovable kitten cuddle-er. Perhaps a sign that says "dog on premises"?
If you buy one of the light timers, you can use it during your vacation as well, so it really might be worth the money (though I think they are pretty cheap).
I lock up the house before it's dark. My dogs absolutely lend me a sense of security and I keep them with me. I have kids so I can't be falling apart. Instead I make sure I stick to routine and just add a few cozy things like my favorite meal, my favorite movie and lots of warm snuggly things to drink.
Post a Comment