Last night I was having a civilized conversation with my husband when I'm sure he said something fascinating and thought provoking so I paused just for a moment in my bedroom doorway.
And then I promptly crumpled to the ground shocked and eventually a weeping mass of pathetic after the door that I'd swung towards closing, closed on my fingers.
At first I was in awe at how much pain my ring finger was experiencing. Then I was in shock at how it didn't go away. Then I started crying because the pain sensation desperately needed to be acknowledged. My ring fingernail has a faint tinge of blue and I still can't really feel the tip of it. Several fingers are stolidly unhappy, but I am thrilled my finger didn't swell up to the size of a hot dog and then need to be punctured through the nail with a hot needle like in one episode of Deadliest Catch.
I go through life with a lot of pain - I experience it everyday, mainly due to my feet/ankles/legs/sciatica. I thought I was good at pain. I can handle the pain.
I knooooow childbirth is unlike anything ever before and no one can truly be prepared.
But seriously, if I fall to the ground sobbing because of one smashed finger....
I'm doomed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh Pish! Childbirth is an entirely different sort of pain. Is there pain yes - can you handle it of course and if you can't well that's why there are pain medications for laboring women. Don't sell yourself short.
Also take care of your fingers because OUCH!
Childbirth is pain with a purpose. And, just from my own personal experience, you will forget almost as soon as it's over.
I like the names, by the way. Cute!
Post a Comment