Thursday, February 12, 2009

Well Played

So it's been an uneventful but busy week or so. After getting the Kitten adopted out and baking a cake that my husband still hasn't finished eating (I just can't bring myself to eat it... weird), we went to a local bar for the Superbowl. When I first moved to Pittsburgh it was the year after the Steelers had won the Superbowl and the Burgh was crazy with black and gold. It made me a little nuts and more than a little anti-Steeler.

I'm pretty introverted most of the time... I don't like to call people on the phone, I prefer to stay in rather than go out - but I will not pass up the opportunity to say something loudly if I think someone's being ridiculous. For example, Greg and I were in a Target checking out the cheap DVDs when these two haughty young college guys started to 'intellectually dissect' the harry potter series - except that both of them said (with disdain) that they hadn't read the books or seen the movies and they were looking down their noses at it - "just a bunch of kids waving around sticks for a few hours" was their movie review, of every movie, without seeing any of them.

So, it only seemed logical for me, standing 10 feet away down the aisle, to look at Greg and say loudly, "Eh hem. I go to college and I am just so above all of this pop culture crap. This opiate of the masses bores me. I can't be bothered to actually see or read this junk so as to have an informed opinion. I would rather just look down on all of it from way up here. Gosh I'm even surprised I can SEE any of this with my nose way up in the air."

Except that last sentence was pretty muffled because as soon as I'd drawn breath to speak, Greg had grabbed my arm and started walking me to another aisle and when we were there he put his hand over my mouth. I couldn't help it. That sort of thing just comes out. So when I hear people blindly worshipping the Steelers or see them walking around dressed like a bumble bee, it's almost like a reflex to say "Steelers Suck" as loudly as I can without Greg giving me a look like he's trying to shoot lasers from his eyes. It's an automatic reaction - sometimes I can stifle it - but in general it just happens, like blinking or gas after tacos.

Greg's anti my being anti-Steelers not because he's Pro-Steelers, but because he's a pacifist and he's sure that at some point I'm going to make a very large man very mad and he's going feel the manly need to step in and prevent me from being pounded into the ground. I don't think it's ever going to come to blows, and if it does I can clearly kick ANYONE's butt - as previously discussed. (Greg won't even let me put a Giants banner in front of the house cause he thinks we'll get egged. Can you say paranoid? yeesh)

Anyway, I thought that I was going to feel the same Anti-Steeler-ness for this superbowl. I mean, Greg's team - the Eagles - took out my team - the Giants - and then the Cardinals took out the Eagles, so morally I had no predisposition to root for the Cardinals or the Steelers. The Cardinals were the underdogs, but this would be the 6th win for the Steelers. Our friends convinced us to watch the game at our neighborhood bar, my friend Michelle doubly convinced me because she promised not to wear Steeler's memorabilia and that we'd have good beer - so I consented. When we got there, the place was PACKED. I only saw one cardinal fan and he was 5 years old. There were flat screen tvs and giant projection screens everywhere, so we parked ourselves in a corner and braced for impact. When the game started the mood was shamefully infectious. The crowd went WILD for even just a commercial starring Polamalu, let alone the actual game. I was handed a terrible towel and kept well supplied with fries, pierogies, and beer and it turned out to be really fun. I had a good laugh when Bruce Springsteen slid his way across the stage and into a camera. And I ended up rooting for the Steelers. They played so well, and it was so close in the end there - the Bar was crazed. It was fun participating in the excitement. Well played Pittsburgh - seduce me with your fried foods and your obsession with football.





Those were taken during the very first Steeler touchdown of the game.

HOWEVER, now 'they' are referring to Pittsburgh as "Sixburgh" and it makes me feel rebellious just thinking about it. It was fun while it lasted, but in the immortal words of Roxette, "it's over now". Steelers suck.

No comments: