
Yea. See, I was in the middle of carefully cutting and measuring fabrics for my patchwork skirt and I had all these extra random teal fabric scraps and... I had a bit of a crafter's meltdown. I didn't know if it would work, but I really didn't care, so I started sewing lengths of scraps together. I'd do about 12 in a row, and then do another set. Then I chopped them all up - that was extremely satisfying - and then I sewed them all together again. Then I did it all over again. Then I sewed all of what I had together into as rectangle-y a shape as I could muster, and trimmed down the sides. I had a fat quarter that was pretty much the perfect size for backing the "quilt", and so I did about 2 passes with a straight stitch in each direction and called it quilted. I had some baby blanket binding laying around, and so I dove into my first binding experience. The bottom right was where I started, the bottom left was my first try. I got better as I went around. That's the end result. I call it a quilt, but it was actually a nervous breakdown.
Apparently the moment has come in my life when everyone and their mother is getting married. There are at least 6 weddings coming up this summer. One of the weddings is of a close friend of mine from college who sang at my wedding. Another wedding is of my best girlfriend - she was my maid of honor.
I recently got a shower invitation to the first girl's wedding... unfortunately it's up in New Hampshire, so I won't be able to make it - but that got me thinking... what kind of wedding gift am I going to get these very special ladies? Yea, I could buy something off their registry - and I probably will for their showers.
But what about for their actual wedding... what would a crafter do?
A WEDDING QUILT. THAT'S WHAT A REAL CRAFTER WOULD DO.
crap. Now I'm going to have to make 2 quilts. Why can't I just have grandiose Ideas like this and then dismiss them like a normal person? WHY!
Somebody restrain me or I'm going to start cutting quilt squares.
3 comments:
In my family it is tradition to get a birth and wedding quilt.
Don't do it! One quilt would be okay, two may result in permanent emotional damage! If you do do it - make sure the recipients are people who will really really really appreciate the time and care that goes into such a project!
Do it smaller like a set of quilted napkins or potholders! Still fabulous and a one size fits all which means you DON'T have to know how big the couples bed will be :D
Post a Comment