Thursday, February 5, 2009

The kitten is gone.

I wrote my dazed and confused post about whether or not to keep the little orange kitty on Tuesday. On Tuesday night we confined our 3 cats to our bedroom and let the kitty have the run of the house. She explored the teensiest bit, but mostly hid behind the stove. I cuddled her a little and fell even more in love. I agreed with your votes. So did my husband. We started to introduce her to our whole house and our cats because we thought we were going to keep her.

I did, however, feel a bit loyal to the woman I'd spoken to on the phone. Apparently she didn't back out of wanting the kitten - over the weekend she came down with the flu and decided to postpone the kitten search for a few days while she recovered. I completely understand being incapacitated by disease, and so I decided that if she still wanted the kitten later, she could have her but I would take down the ads for her in the morning.

Wednesday morning rolls around and waiting in my inbox when I get to work is a little message from kijiji saying the following: Hello, I love your kitten Please let me know when I can come see her. I have a kitten who looks just like her, I swear they could be sisters. My kitten is 4 months old named Hazel and could really use a friend. Thank You, M

I would have felt guilty just ignoring it, and she said she "loves" the kitten... and if the kitten went to her she'd have a buddy who was her age...

So I wrote back a much longer message detailing her vet visit and basically saying that I wanted her in a good home, but I've fallen in love with her. And if I was to consider placing her with someone else, they'd have to guarantee that they would spay her and that they had enough room for her.

M wrote back saying that she had a 4 bedroom house and would definitely spay the kittens. She said she stays home during the day so she'll be able to give the kitten a lot of one-on-one time. And she has two daughters.

We scheduled a meeting for her to come meet the kitten at 7:00 p.m., after work. She showed up 20 minutes early (annoying, but fine... good points even because it was snowing and she was just being cautious). And she brought her daughters. Her daughters were young and sweet. They fawned over our other cats - very gently petting them. After I scooped up the little kitten the littlest girl held her for a while and let her jump down when she wanted to. I was touched and so, without thinking about it too hard, we put her in a crate box and handed her off with her vet papers and some flea medication.


She's gone.


I might cry.


It's probably for the best, you know. She'll be around people all day long with lots of love and plenty of room. It couldn't get any better, right?

2 comments:

Lucid Moon Studio said...

Although it's heartbreaking for you to give her away, it sounds like the kitten will have a very happy home. Things always have a way of working out for the best in the end. And...now you can get a DOG!! lol.

Yanaba said...

Agreed, this is the saddest thing, but these two little girls will grow up knowing the sweetness and value of little creatures and they'll be here after we're gone, helping to make the world a safer place for every other baby furball (whose mother humans didn't spay when they should have). Plus, if you two are anything like us, Greg and your future dog will wrestle each other all over the place and roll around on the ground drooling together in happiness, (ho dear!) and you'll fall in love with the dog too. And muse about how close you came to not being able to get him/her, in front of some future fireplace with a dog muzzle with big doe eyes on your lap.