Today I watched the first black President of the United States be sworn in to office. My recollection of this event is a shared experience with literally millions and millions of people across not just my country, but the world.
My day started unlike many others with a hellishly early appointment for what I thought was going to be a routine gynecological exam. The mistake was partially my fault because I had entrusted the responsibility of setting up the appointment with my husband. The mistake is mostly his fault because he didn't deign to tell me he was confused or uncomfortable. This situation resulted in our sitting in a waiting area of the best women's hospital in the North East, U.S.A. at 6:45 a.m.
When I was called up to the desk, the nice woman asked for my prescription. I stammered that I didn't have one... This was just for a routine check up. She said, you need a prescription for an Ultrasound. I said I'm not pregnant. She said, you don't need to be. I said... uh, I'm just here for a routine gynecological exam. She said "uh........".
Apparently Greg scheduled the appointment with pretty much the only office in the ENTIRE FREAKIN' HOSPITAL that ONLY administers Ultra sounds. They do NOTHING else.
I smiled, got our parking validated, and left with a very defensive and touchy husband in tow. His defensiveness was particularly barbed, even though I wasn't upset (yet). I ended up getting very upset because he kept repeating excuses and being hostile towards the hospital and declaring over and over and over again that he'd requested to schedule a pelvic exam, even though he was uncomfortable doing so.
I asked him why he hadn't just said "Hey, I feel weird, can you take care of this?", because when he assumes he can't just talk to me like a partner and a human being it makes me feel like troll.
Anyway, we fought or I freaked out but regardless, we both got to work in plenty of time and I have a real appointment scheduled for Thursday. It was not a good start to the day is my point.
But let me tell you, if there's one thing that can cheer a gal up after having scheduled the wrong vaginal exam and feeling like a total and complete idiot it would probably be seeing her country united in exultation watching our new President walk safely off to his new job.
That was pretty awesome.
If you haven't visited the new White House website, you should.
Good luck to us all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment