Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Old, New, Borrowed, Blue

Old:

Nostalgia. Dangerous. I loved my college - Loved with a full and innocently passionate verve that hasn't fully deserted me. I like to go back and visit, but I don't go back for the people anymore. I go back because I still love that quad. I still love those buildings. I still love the air and the sky and the feel. I miss it, but I wouldn't want to be a college student again.

There are a couple of times a year when I go back for very specific things. In the past two years Greg and I have made a purposeful pilgrimage for the Fall Afternoon of A cappella concert - which is where he proposed to me 3 years ago... And we reconnect for the very special rival football game.

I went to Lafayette College. Lafayette College and Lehigh University are the oldest college football rivals in the country. The rivalry is carefully cultivated. In the last couple of years it has been severely watched and purposefully dampened, but if you attend either of these institutions there is something in the air that invigorates your blood when the Lehigh/Lafayette football game comes around.

My parents went to Lehigh. My grandfather went to Lehigh. I was the rebel. I went to the rival school and I loved it. We won 3 out of the 4 years I went to Lafayette - winning was glorious. Bragging rights and school spirit are heady things. Although I am not a huge football fan - I thoroughly enjoyed this tradition. Especially the part where I could tease my parents about it.

Since Greg and I moved to Pittsburgh, a 5 hour trek to see a football game hasn't been feasible. Instead, we have joined the Pittsburgh based Lafayette community, and for 2 years in a row we attended a live telecast party at local bars where we can watch The Game. It's been pretty much awesome because Lafayetters have been outnumbered each year - yet we have won handily, and sometimes unexpectedly (for the last 4 years). Lafayette has about 2,000 students... Lehigh has about 10,000.... So we're the underdog, and I LOVE it.

This year, Lafayette tries to break it's record of at most 4 wins in a row to go for 5 solid years of total domination... and I won't be able to watch it.

Without checking our major schedule conflicts like that, Greg and I committed to spending the weekend at his Family's cabin in the middle of no where with no T.V. and no Radio and no Internet and NO local bars with NO live telecast of the Lehigh Lafayette game. Don't get me wrong - the weekend will be enjoyable. I'll get to spend time with my nephews and my brother-in-law and his wife... but I am thoroughly disappointed that we made such a stupid scheduling mistake. If we had checked earlier we could have potentially switched the weekend and we would have been able to do it all!!!

It makes me a little heartsick that we'll miss it this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Lafayette loses... because I'm pretty sure my presence at the live telecast is just that important.

New:

Today, October 7th, the Cloth Paper Scissors magazine hits the stands. In it you will find a tutorial from lil ole me. It's just one page, but it also includes information on ANOTHER feather from me about my Craftroom that will be in their next months edition.

Exciting, no?


Borrowed:

I wish I could borrow time.


Blue:

Coming soon to a theater near you... my dining room in teal blue.

No comments: