I feel like I'm a newborn when it comes to knowledge and experience within the Crafting World Corner of the Internet. I want to participate! But I'm only barely millimetering out of being a passive observer. I looooooove to look at what other people have done. There are days when I sit for hours and browse flickr and deviantart and craftster and craftzine and I slowly slip into a color induced haze of drool and inarticulate mumblings.
Only recently have I discovered "Swaps". The word swap simultaneously reminds me of smashing a fly with a fly swatter, the sound that certain aliens would make in a game I used to play on an Apple 2GS, and the feeling of a giant tongue smacking someone's cheek. Over share? Perhaps.
Swaps - as far as I understand it - are carefully organized, themed, and executed. Hundreds of wonderful, happy, talented, pretty people exchange surprise (themed) items through the mail! The swap could be polka dot themed! Color themed! Muppet Baby themed! You name it, I'm sure it's been swapped.
I am filled with awe, longing, and excitement at the reeling possibilities of such an exchange. Boy oh boy, I would LOVE to participate in a swap!!!
... but which one? There are hundreds on SEVERAL websites.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=75.0
http://www.supernaturale.com/glitter/viewforum.php?f=9
... just to show you a few.
And then... what if I can't find one that really fits me? What if I get something so super cool that merely because of its awesomeness there are rainbows and thunder and lightening all at the same time AND my husband decides to get me Burger king onion rings and a five cheese pizza for dinner. What if the item that I send to someone else can't change the weather or influence what's for dinner? What if it's not good enough?
And so if this were a sport and Swap was being played on a kickball field in middle school, I would be the awkward kid on the sidelines, pretending to be absorbed in the honeysuckle on the fence but carefully listening to every detail and wishing with every fiber of my being that I had shown up on time to be picked for a team. But Honeysuckle's pretty sweet, so I think I'll stay here for a while and just admire the view.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I know exactly what you mean about the swaps. I want to do one so bad, but I'm a little scared about them at the same time. I love to craft, but what if I'm not good enough? The thought plagues me every time I do a craft.
Post a Comment