Thursday, June 26, 2008

My Dream Home

As previously mentioned, I am an avid lurker on quite a few websites. When I happen across a link or a photo I love, I save it. My latest "Save" technique has been to save it to a Draft email in Gmail. I love gmail. I could write sonnets to gmail.

Anyway, at one point I had about 200 Draft emails and that's a touch ridiculous, so I buckled down, reorganized and came out with about 20 drafts each labeled with things like "Future Gift Ideas" and "Patterns/Tutorials". One that has the fewest links in it is called "Dream Home". I only put links there that feature absolutely spectacular home additions that are so unique and so cool that I'm enchanted despite the sneering price tag. Today, I'd like to share those links with you so you can feel my pain.

1) The Ammonite Washbasin.

Speaking of sneering price tags, I find that the ones that sneer the most are the ones that refuse to materialize. Then the price becomes less of a tag and more of an anvil hanging over the head of anyone who becomes attached to the gorgeous product. While it might sound like this little beauty is made from an otherworldly substance and may be able to drain all strength from alien superheroes, it is, in fact, made from concrete. The title of "Ammonite" refers to an extinct sea creature from which the basin gets it's design inspiration. This sink is enough for me to develop obsessive compulsive hand-washing habits.

2) Light Emitting Wallpaper

I don't know how they did it. I don't know how it works. I don't know how to install it or whether it comes with a plug. What I do know is that this wall paper gets me just as excited

3) Puzzle Flooring

This hardwood puzzle flooring makes me want to put on some soft footsie pajamas and go body bobsledding from corner to corner. I wouldn't need anything else in this room. I could just sit on the floor... and stare at the floor. See - it would actually save me money! No need for Cable or Movies or Games or food even! I'd lose weight, save money, AND have freakin' sweet flooring!

4) A tree.

No, you're not hallucinating. Yes, that's a tree. No, it's not a living tree. These people build trees for a living. Big, beautiful trees. They've done work in museums and malls, restaurants and zoos, hotels and schools. Most of all - they will do residential work. Your house has to be able to support the structure and weight of the tree, but they will work with you and design it specially with your home in mind. The trunk is pretty much scratch proof and they can make sure that any and all branches are well out of the way to discourage any intrepid climbers in your household. Can't you just see sitting at the bottom for story time?

5) Star Murals


The consensus is that the photos don't do these murals justice. This guy travels all over putting these murals up on ceilings, bedding, and walls, in planes, trains, boats, homes, and hotels. He has a special secret paint mixture that is completely non-toxic, allows for these stars to glow for up to 25 hours at a time, and facilitates depth and movement within the stationary mural. In otherwords - it's wicked cool.



What amenities would you add to your home in your wildest dreams?

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I'll blog my answer.
I really think you and your handy husband could make some of these things. Retro fit one of your current sinks. Concrete is simple and actually cheap, it's so the in thing.