Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Day 2:

So, it's Day 2 of Megan: Home Alone, and it is definitely more stressful than day 1. Today, at 7:30 a.m., 5 burly HVAC guys invaded my basement in an attempt to wrangle the 50 year old towering behemoth of a furnace out of the house, and replace it with a cute little energy efficient one. Also, they came to put in an air conditioning unit and put returns throughout the second floor.

I bought them a big pack of gatorade.

When they first arrived we went over a couple of things (namely: Please don't let the cats out...) and they got to work. I left pretty soon after, more thankful than I thought I would be to be out of the house while that was going on.

I returned home for lunch at noon and... as if I were a shadow, snuck in, took the dog out, warmed up some leftover pizza and doled out some sweet baby gherkins, and I thought I was free and clear (despite the grating noises of construction progress) when in walks the Main Guy.

He's covered in black soot, stops for a moment and says "I just got extremely lucky... I came within 4 inches of cutting a water line"



What can I do with that? Nothing. Nothing!

It's like walking in to the O.R. in the middle of surgery on a one-hundred year old man while they simultaneously drill holes in all of his teeth.


I neglected to ask for a revised version of when they thought they'd be finished, and now - according to my mother - because I didn't ask, they may not finish, and when they don't finish, it'll go down to 32 degrees tonight, and because I didn't have a better quippy response than "Electric Blanket" to "How are you going to stay warm tonight?" not only am I going to freeze, but all four of my pets are going to get pneumonia and then I "won't have them anymore".


My original expectations were to go home at the end of the day to an empty and newly efficiently heated house.... they are now revised to "A house with water and pets that are alive."

1 comment:

Jenny said...

It's called optimism Megan. You really need a big dose of it! All things considered, life is good. Hang in there!