This is our mantle right now:

I like it.
In addition to the 8 million other projects I have lined up (literally) around coffee table and living room (including a king sized quilt... yea.), I have added a project to finally use up these sheets of plastic that I bought a year or so ago.
I had high hopes of making the PERFECT craft bag, all by myself without a pattern. I made lots of pockets for the outside, and a large space perfectly sized for two knitting containers, 8 vinyl bags, etc. It was going to be heavy so it needed to be reinforced, and I think I lost my mind a little.
We bought quarter inch thick plastic sheeting that we were going to cut down to size and line the bag. Suffice to say that even adding a single piece to the bottom made the bag weight 20 pounds... Empty.
Turns out the PERFECT craft bag should probably be purchased from someone who knows what they're doing.
I still have two very large pieces of semi-opaque white plastic, and a few weeks ago I had a vision of what I can do with them. I want to create a dimensional silhouette of a generic city in our front living room windows. I know it'll be a pain to make lots of cuts in (freakishly thick) quarter inch plastic... but when it's finished I can thread white christmas lights into select window holes, put it up in the windows for the holidays and rejoice at my adorable little window display.
The problem is, it really IS a pain to make cuts. Greg had a helluva time cutting out the bottom of my bag, which is just a rectangle. He was using an exacto knife, over and over and over again. The other day I spotted a Pumpkin carving dremel. I'm not sure how adventurous I feel with the power tools at the moment, but does any body have any suggestions? If it's specifically for pumpkins, I probably shouldn't use it on plastic, right?
1 comment:
If it's for pumpkins it probably doesn't have a very strong motor. A mini power saw like a standard dremmel or other kind from the hardware store would be much easier.
The idea sounds A-W-E-S-O-M-E!
Can't wait to see that post!
Post a Comment