
My best girl friend is getting married. She was the maid of honor in my wedding, and now she's tying the knot with a wonderful guy who probably only has an inkling of how insanely lucky he is to have her.
This past weekend I took a half-day on Friday and Greg and I drove 7 hours out to New Jersey to attend her surprise bridal shower on Saturday. She's the type of person who makes everyone feel very special, so many many people claim her as a close friend and love her dearly. She has 8 bridesmaids - and I'm one of them - and we all wanted to help as much as possible. Because I was so far away from the site of the shower, I was unable to collaboratively plan games or set up decorations or help cook the mounds of delicious food that the Mother of the Bride whipped up out of thin air. I wanted to do something special for the day that I could do in Pittsburgh and bring with me.
I volunteered to make the shower favors! And then later, I remembered that she had made me a flower garland crown to wear for my shower, so I decided to make her something to wear as well.
As far as the shower favors go, I decided what I was going to make (of course) almost immediately - and then (of course) I put it off for a while. About a month before the shower, I decided it would probably be a good idea to start pumping them out considering 100 people had been invited and we were expecting at least 50.
I decided to make little cupcake favors. I envisioned little white whipped icing cupcakes, topped with a photo/note holder. Then I'd whip something up with adobe photoshop and some card stock, and stick a note in the top that said something like "thank you for coming".
It took 5 tries to find the right stuff to make the cupcakes, and it took 2 weeks to make all of them. Then I found out that they take a while to cure and dry, so I probably should have started them immediately. About half of them were still squishy on the bottom when I set them up the day of the shower, so I ended up paranoidly warning people about the soft bottoms, and please don't squeeze them. And yes, I realize how that sounds.
Here's how they turned out:

And here's the crown:


I ended up weaving in about 8 tiny vintage blue silk flowers at the very last second to match her eyes.
I loved seeing her so happy!
2 comments:
The crown is gorgeous! Sounds like you have a great relationship.
Hi Megan,
What an absolutely lovely gift to your friend. It is magnificent so victorian/medieval. She must have been mad for it! Such talent you have.
Blessings,
Elise
Post a Comment