Friday, May 15, 2009

Star Trek and Fruit

So I've seen the new Star Trek movie. I was very excited to see it in the first place because I am a Trekkie. I have watched a significant number of episodes from the original series, I used to watch The Next Generation all the time, my family would sit down together for Deep Space Nine, AND for Voyager, and I even attempted to watch the newest (failed) attempt at continuing the success of the Star Trek empire on television - "Enterprise". I also have a very big crush on Zachary Quinto (Spock).

The movie was great - I thought the guy who played Bones was perfect. But I am a little bothered by the plot. If you don't want any kind of spoiler, then skip to the next paragraph. It's just that the whole time-travel thing has rendered every vestige of the existing Star Trek universe irrelevant - It no longer happened that way. Everything's changed. Everything you thought you knew about the way things went down or are going to down-- it's going to be different. It's like the cop out ending where suddenly the main character wakes up and finds out it was ALL JUST A DREAM. And now they have a free pass to redo EVERYTHING. If I think about this too hard it makes my eye twitch.

ANYWAY. In honor of Star Trek I have posted a few new star trek badges up for sale in my Etsy store, as well as a new craft I've embraced. For a while I was constantly stumbling across a whole lot of fabric fruit and I thought I'd give it a try. So I hunkered down, attempted some designs, failed miserably for a while, and then finally came out with this:


I've made about 10 of them and they're pretty addictive. I'm thinking my next batch may have to have little loops near the stem so you can hang them if you want to. I also think the Pears are just a gateway fruit- I'm getting into apples, I've tried my hand at oranges and I want to try the really hard stuff like Lemons and Limes or maybe even a pineapple. We'll see. This could turn in to a produce binge. Watch out now.

No comments: