Wednesday, March 4, 2009

"Pack of Lies" or "Miracle worker"?

Why am I so naive? Why?

I feel like an idiot at the moment. Partially I feel nauseously idiotic because I crave others' approval, partially it's because I haven't thought about two sides to a very important issue.

Greg and I are fans of "The Dog Whisperer" with Cesar Millan. We like the show alot. The message I get from it is that no matter what the issue, no matter how "bad" the dog is, the behavior is changeable. You may need professional help, you may need to drastically change your current training/behavior... but no matter what's wrong, you can fix it.

Unless a dog is absolutely bloodthirsty or terminally ill and in a great deal of pain - I can't personally support euthanization. I understand that there are millions of animals without homes, there is an overpopulation of dogs and cats, and that a lot of animals are being put to sleep because of those facts - but I see this as a failing of the American people.

So far, I feel I've been doing my part for cats. I have three cats adopted from shelters - they are well-loved and cared for. We have also not ignored any stray cats we see. We have caught 2 stray kittens and found them loving and responsible homes. I feel good about this. It may not be all I can do, but I'm not making the situation worse. I always bang on the car hood to make sure there's no sleeping kitty near the engine, I never ignore a stray, and my cats are healthy and happy.

My husband and I have been talking for a while about adopting a dog. Our first responsibility is to our cats - we need a dog that will not chase or hurt them. That is probably our first priority. We would like a medium sized dog because I want a manageable sized dog that can still play outside with us. We would like an adult dog because although I grew up with a dog, I was not involved in her house training or puppy issues and I would be more comfortable with a full grown adult. I also anticipate getting some kind of mutt/mix and getting an adult will ensure that we know the size of the dog is permanent. I met a pure bred great dane the other day. He was beautiful... and the size of a small horse. As a first time Primary caregiver I would be most comfortable with a house trained (even crate trained!) dog who is between 25-50 pounds. We are also going to start a family in a few years, and it's important to know that the dog is gentle and good with children.

Ideally? We want to fulfill all of our dog's needs. Walks, playing, cuddling, affection, food, vet visits, toys... We want to do whatever's right for whatever particular dog we get.

Again, we are fans of Cesar Millan. We do not have cable, so we have his dvd's. Cesar is incredibly consistent in his mantras: "Exercise, Discipline, Affection", "No touch, no talk, no eye contact", "Rules, Boundaries, Limitations". To the uninitiated, these mantras seem almost harsh and certainly not affectionate. While I realize I'm viewing his tactics through my own personal experience, and I'm probably putting my own spin on things, I do genuinely agree with the vast majority of what he says in his program and what I've read in his book.

My parent's dog didn't get enough exercise while I was living with them, I don't know how much exercise she gets now. I know she's a border terrier, and she gets fed first thing in the morning and probably doesn't get walked (if at all) till lunch time. I know she's excitable, she barks alot, she's bitten a groomer, and she's nipped at several people while being super excited. She does not walk all that well on a leash. She gets a lot of affection, she has good food, a great home, and she does have some boundaries - she's not really allowed into my parent's room.

I strongly believe that if she were exercised a little more and corrected (gently) during unwanted behaviors such as barking or jumping up, she would calm down. I did not know any of what Cesar teaches while growing up, but alot of what he corrects are things I saw ( and see ) in this dog. I want the dog that Greg and I to have to not be so frenetic, not so excitable and uncontrollable in her excitement. Pippin - my parent's dog - is a border terrier so she's small, manageable, not that intimidating. If you stay standing, the most she can do is hop around your knees - but now I know this shouldn't excuse her behavior. You wouldn't let a german shepherd get away with that kind of behavior - why should you let a little dog be that way?

I see a lot of wisdom in Cesar's Mantra's. I see alot of success in what he does. I don't believe I've ever seen a scared or hurt dog in his hands. I believe in his success.

And now comes the naivete.

Until recently, I believed that this was how everybody felt about The Dog Whisperer. I mean, yea, sure it's a TV show - and who genuinely believes everything they see on TV? But how can you deny the results with the dogs? Dogs are dogs. You can't tell them "okay, now pretend you're calm, you can go back to attacking the other dogs later". But it's not true. There is alot of criticism out there and I was not aware of it. This is why I feel dumb. Of COURSE there's criticism. There's Criticism for everything. I'm learning this more and more, and I feel dumber and dumber.

Should I breast feed my baby or not? Should I let my baby sleep in bed with me or not? Should I carry my baby in a sling all day or not? And in America, our dogs are our babies too. A rescue recently referred to a dog as a "Fur Baby". I find this grating on my nerves... but, okay. I'll go with it. Because our dogs are our babies, people are going to get just as fired up - if not more so - about the way you treat them. Should my dog be indoors or outdoors alot? Should I crate train or is crate training really code for "Cage"? Should I reward my dog with food or a clicker? Should I reward my dog at all? If there's dog aggression should I just keep my dog away from other dogs, or should I try to address it?

What is Discipline? Yelling? Hitting? A Shock Collar? Asking Politely? A strong "CH" sound? Touching on the neck? Saying "No"?

I thought I had sorted it out. I thought you just disagree with bad behavior - make it clear it's unwanted with a negative sound... and be calm and consistent. I've repeated the mantra's to myself "Exercise, Discipline, Affection". "Exercise, Discipline, Affection". "Exercise, Discipline, Affection".

And now, I feel betrayed and anxious. You mean to tell me there's controversy about this? There are people saying that taking your dog for long walks (as appropriate - obviously not for a senior or a puppy or a dog with medical issues, etc.), etc, is considered inhumane by people like The American Humane Association? Now I don't know what to think.

To contribute to the mess in my mind, we filled out an exceedingly long and detailed Approval application for consideration with a local rescue. I respected all of their questions and I tried to answer completely honestly. They have one or two dogs we'd like to meet, but really we just wanted to be on their radar in case something that really matches us comes around. On the application I repeated the mantras - I stressed that we wanted to be calm, assertive pack leaders. I assured them that we would put exercise and discipline above affection.

I made these assertions because these people are serious and knowledgeable. They know what's best for the dog and I wanted to make sure we would be working hard to fulfill the dog's needs. Affection is going to be a piece of strawberry pie for us. We are affectionate people - giving affection comes naturally. We might be the type of people that, without doing research, would heap on the affection and might not understand the other needs of a dog. I wanted to make sure that they knew my husband roller skates - so he could roller skate with the dog. I wanted to make sure that they knew we'd take the dog for a walk twice a day - 30-45 minutes each time. I wanted them to know we would set rules, boundaries and limitations. I wanted them to know we wouldn't just be pushovers - we would work hard for this dog.

It turns out that those were the wrong things to say. I got an email back that withdrew our ability to meet with a specific dog, and asked us a million questions about our idea of discipline. I had also written that we would put a dog to sleep for human aggression - what I meant was if the Vet and other trained professionals told us that our Dog was possessed with Violent Blood lust and should be put to sleep - we would listen. This would be after work on our part, and with a professional and medical causes were explored. Instead, this rescue asks "Would you put the dog to sleep if it growled at someone? Would you put the dog to sleep if it nipped at someone that startled it or hurt it?" This rescue is also, apparently, not a fan of the Cesar Millan school of thinking and - especially for the dog we were inquiring about - strongly believes that affection should be placed above discipline. And they questioned why I put "insecurity" as an unwanted characteristic. Also, the question of how long we'll be away from home during the day came up.

First of all - we've been working on a way for one or both of us to go home at the lunch hour to be with the dog. If that doesn't work out, we would look into pet sitting or dog walking services.

Second of all - the rest makes me want to simultaneously crawl into a hole and scream. I'm very frustrated, a little insulted, and a little desperate. I could just accept that maybe adopting from this particular rescue is not for us - we have different schools of thought when it comes to "discipline", and I can respect that. But I really don't want them to think I'm not loving! Or that I would be unyielding in my preconceived notions of training! Or that - worst of all - I would be violent or mean or abusive. Discipline should never be yelling or punishment. The thing I'm going to struggle most with is being affectionate all the time, and not being consistent and disciplined in following the rules (no jumping up onto the couch, etc.). I wanted to assure them that I would work very hard in these areas, because these are the areas I would need to work hard in. Now they think I'm some kind of dog-whipping, heartless disciplinarian who would treat an anxious or scared dog by punishing them and scolding them for "unwanted" behavior.

It all just makes me want to cry.

I wish I could meet a stranger, and we could shake hands or something, and we would both automatically recognize each other for everything... How affectionate we are, what we care about, etc. I feel like I should either scramble to correct these misconceptions about myself or just give up and cry about it.

Boy this was a long post, sorry about that. Do you agree with Cesar? Do you have a dog? What do you think I should do? Let it go? Insist on a meeting with them so they get to know me better? Forget about a dog all together? I'm floundering.

8 comments:

Jenny said...

I think this shelter has got you all turned around. I would insist on meeting them personally to talk this all out. What they read was not at all how you intended to represent yourself.
The Dog Whisperer has simple vailid mantras. The grey area lies in the intrepetation and application by lay people. You said it, discipline ect. can mean many things. Each will be different for different dogs. What works for one dog won't for another, same with children.
You won't know until you live it a little bit. I think the bottom line is, you need to be informed and adaptable. Trying different things until you find what works. There is no right answer and if this shelter expects one right answer than you should look at what you believe in your heart, knowing you would make a great home for a pet and move on. Remember, they are not rejecting YOU, just your application.

Lucid Moon Studio said...

I agree that you should meet with them in person because they may have misunderstood you. We discovered that not everyone is a fan of Cesar (like we are) when we met with some people from a Weimaraner Rescue. They thought Cesar was too harsh with dogs. I personally disagree, but we didn't argue about it. Our application was approved, but they gave us the run around for over a month. We were willing to drive over 2 hours to meet the dog we were interested in, but they didn't return our phone calls (we called for 6 days straight), and then when we finally got a hold of them, they informed us they couldn't find any of his records, and we wouldn't be able to adopt him. It was ridiculous to say the least. We were so set on adopting a rescue, but eventually we wore down and ended up getting a puppy from a reputable breeder. If we weren't set on a Weim, I'm sure we could have found another dog that was available. In the long run though, we are so happy with our puppy who is now 5 months old! We were able to start from scratch instead of dealing with behavioral issues which all the rescue Weims had. I definitely admire your determination to adopt and think it is very admirable. I hope that things work out for you with the rescue, but if it doesn't, I truly believe everything happens for a reason, and fate will lead you to the right dog! Sorry this is so long!

CJ Anderso said...

Hi and thank you for your post.

Please know that there are literally tens of thousands of people who are successfully using Cesar Millan Solutions to have safely and effectively create problem free dog relationships.The real problem is how committed these people to not understand how
I own a yahoo email list that is recommended on Cesar's monthly newsletter because of our committment to not only help people understand how to impliment Cesar's solutions in their unique environments and conditions, but to eerlcome and weave ALL solutions that do NOT harm the dog! (if it does - it is NOT
Cesar's way.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/DogWhispererFans/

You can also read and research the archives for help without even joining our group for ideas.

I teach human safety and health- yet I have been able to save over 30 lsdt chance - destined to be euthanized -dogs that local "professionals" could not or would not help. You can see many of them at my youtube site at www.youtube.com/cjanderson.

I hope you will not give up on having a dog - here in Phoenix there are over 55,000 dogs given up to animal control who has a 40% euthaizing rate that I have been working hard to reduce.

You COULD and WOULD save a life!
We would help you not only understand, but appropiately apply Cesar's solutions in your dog human relationship to help enrich you both!

The perfect dog is on its way to you! Trust your instincts!

Ashley said...

(Don't mind me, I've been lurking. Love your blog :)

My fiance and I had a hard time with several shelters also while we were looking for adopt a dog. Since we are both night-workers and sleep during the day, some people didn't agree with this. Some shelters would prefer you use a crate and some would prefer you leave your dog outdoors instead (in TEXAS heat?!?!) One shelter refused to even consider our application, because 10 years ago I had to surrender a guinea pig because my parents financial situation put us in city-regulated housing that did not allow pets.

These questionnaires might seem a little harsh but it does show that the shelter cares about their animals and about the homes they are going to. After we got rejected from several, and we were still convinced we would find the perfect dog, we found a shelter that had no application process or anything, and we fell in love with a border collie pup. Turns out, this shelter was the WORST possible place to get a dog. The dog was super aggressive and after hiring a trainer we were told that he was most likely abused and had been severely damaged so much that he was, as you put it, blood thirsty. After he took a chunk out of my arm, we had to bring him back to the shelter. Not only should the shelter not be adopting out aggressive dogs, but the guy didn't believe me when I brought him back, even when I showed him my arm. After this, I was very put-off by the shelters in our area and even though I was heartbroken after being dead set on rescuing a shelter dog, but unfortunately, that did not work out for us.

There are some shelters out there (they'll have notes on petfinder) that insist on doing an IN-HOME inspection before they will let you adopt. I think this is great. That way, you're more than words on paper and they can really chat with you and get your views and meet with you face-to-face.

Don't rush in to it, the perfect dog will find you. Ours did.

Breigh said...

Ok, I think you need to take a deep breath, sit down and calm yourself. I have not met you but I read your blog regularly. I'm fairly certain that in RL it is not hard to tell what an animal lover you are.

I have two dogs and I LOVE Cesar! We have tried some of his techniques on our dogs and they DO work. I also believe strongly in his methods.

Here in the Netherlands they basically say the same things as Cesar, on how to keep your dog healthy and happy. When we got our Dachschund / Chihuahua mix our vet made a strong point to us that we should not treat her as a princess but like a dog, and we always have. Of course she's our baby and we cuddle her and kiss her but she doesn't spend her life on a pink pillow or in a handbag.

Both of our dogs are completely crate trained and it is a GODSEND. I highly recommend crate training any dog.

One thing I've realized through all my time keeping pets is that you need to take things people say in moderation. What I mean is, people often have varying opinions and can be VERY forceful with them. What's important is to consider them all and find where your belief falls. Often mine fall somewhere in the middle, my 'happy medium' as I call it.

I encounter this a lot with my turtles. I have 6 turtles and 1 tortoise and belong to a number of turtle keeping forums etc. If I listened to the pet shop owners here in the Netherlands I could probably keep them in a fish bowl. If I listened to everyone on the forums I'd have to turn my entire livingroom into an indoor pond and use my entire bedroom for filtration.

I guess I just try to use common sense and not go to either extreme... and I think the same is true for dogs.

They do need exercise, long walks will not hurt them and it is not inhumane, that's a load of rubbish. They also need discipline. It's not necessary to hit them, but they do need to know their place in the pecking order.

Try not to let this thing with the shelter get you down. Firstly, because their 'business' is protecting animals, they probably have to be VERY careful with who they let take them. They don't know you well and someone else saying the same things you said could have an ENTIRELY different meaning for it. I'm sure if you wrote them back and explained the way you have to us they would probably feel differently.

Also, they are usually volunteers and in that environment where they deal with abused animals every day... I'd say they probably get very wrapped up in it and maybe go a bit too far. Please don't take it personally.

I think what you do for your pets is wonderful and it's obvious they have a loving and caring home.

Having read your posts in regards to the dog situation, I only have one concern, and that's the amount of time the dog would be home alone. I think you said in one of your posts that both you and your husband work long days. Do you really think it's wise (at least right now) to take on a dog, especially one from a shelter that probably will be quite needy?

Sorry if I read wrong, but if that is the case it's something to seriously consider. Dogs and cats are a lot different in that way and dogs often don't cope well when they are left home for such long periods. When I was working full time our neighbours complained because our dog howled ALL day. We tried everything and he just wouldn't stop. He'd be quiet in his crate but we couldn't crate him for such a long period so he had to be left loose in the house. It got to be a very difficult situation.

Hrmm I hope that didn't just add to everything and make you feel worse... but I trust that you'll take it as well meaning advice rather than criticism.

Good luck and I hope the shelter changes their minds.

Unknown said...

As a regular reader of your blog :) but first time poster I would NOT suggest you sit down with anyone from the shelter and talk to them...its going to be to volitile or emotional. I would suggtest writing a letter and explaining just like you did in your post where your coming from and why you think what you think. It might not change the persons mind, but I think it will make you feel a bunch better about expressing your hurt and anger...which you should not direct AT the person but still include in a subtle way to insure that they really get how offensive and hurtful their comments were. They dont know you nor were they trying to be mean...as mean as it felt. They are just trying to help the dogs, they have seen so much ugly and abuse that they are just being kinda stupid in their screening. I am sure they figure better safe than sorry....and they were being overly "safe" in your case and misjudged what you wrote. My 10 year old son volunteers at a shelter and I join him once in a while so I have seen some of the nutty people who try and adopt animals. It wears on the workers after a while dealing with all the wackos.

Unknown said...

Until I discovered Cesar Millan last year I had not encountered a dog professional that so succinctly, so, dare I say it in face of the loons out there, responsibly, expressed a real-world approach to dog rearing. As Cesar says, he rehabilitates dogs and trains people. If Cesar had been around when we got our first labrador retriever, we may have saved ourselves a few missteps. With that dog's passing and our getting a new lab, we are confident what we have learned is a good course to follow and we are, with good results. I am not saying it is the only one but is right for us. There is no doubt Cesar loves his own dogs and is respectful of the ones he works with.
There are thousands and thousands, if not millions of dogs euthanized each year. It should not be hard for you to locate a shelter that will be thrilled to have one of their dogs go to a good home.

David Jacob said...

Our digital marketing packages md are the fine and you can’t locate greater appropriate digital advertising applications for you in the united states of america.
Partake7 provides five digital advertising packages which might be free, primary, general, advanced and electricity.