The Dog still has no name.
Are we ridiculous? Perhaps. We didn't know we were bringing home a dog that night! We didn't have a 'name picked out'! And I am a firm believer that pets have personalities and thus not every name fits every pet.
We've always had a hard time picking out names. Our first cat, Eevee,
came home from a shelter with no health issues whatsoever. She'd won my heart by climbing into my lap and tucking her face into the crook of my elbow and refusing to budge. Greg wanted us to sleep on it, but I knew she was supposed to be ours so after a sleepless night where I'm sure Greg regretted putting the cabash on adopting if only because I was being so annoying, we went back and got her. She hid under a chair for the first 4 weeks we owned her - yes, we were concerned. Eventually she warmed up to us, and then she really warmed up to us, and now she won't leave us - or our guests - alone. Sorry, if you come to our house, you are almost guaranteed to have a cat in your lap - and even if you push said cat off of your lap, they'll come back. Many times. Especially Eevee. Her shelter name had been Fat Buttons, even though she weighed 5 pounds when we brought her home. We had trial runs of names... Isabeau, Isabella, Bella, Leia, princess, etc. Any thing that we even vaguely agreed to try, we tried for a full day.At some point, we re-watched V for Vendetta and picked out Eevee's name from that - it fits perfectly. She's cute and spunky and that's what the name sounds like to me.
We adopted our second cat a year later after she won my heart the same way.
She's all black and silky and tiny. Her shelter name had been Blackee, but I knew I wanted her to have a slinky pretty name - and within a few days "Delilah" came to mind. We were hesitant because Greg's aunt and uncle had a cat named Delilah that they loved very much that passed away a few years ago, so we actually called them and asked their permission before naming her officially.Our third cat was Greg's choice.
Her shelter name was "Spot". Within 2 weeks we'd settled on the name Ella as in Fitzgerald. It fits her in an ironic sort of way - she never ever meows, and when she tries nothing comes out.All of this is to say that our new dog needs a name, but does not yet have a name. If you'd like a better explanation of why we can't just pick a freaking name, I would tell you it's because I'm SURE - 100% sure - that he has a name. He has a name. He looks like he has a name. The name exists and it is specific and it is one name, a very particular name. We just haven't figured out what it is yet.
We are embarrassed that we haven't figured it out yet.
The shelter called him Owen - but that's not his name, and don't get all up in my grill because he doesn't even respond to Owen, we've tried. Currently we call him "Buddy", "Little man" or "Hey you!". Apparently Greg told his parents we haven't named the dog yet and they were surprised and asked what do we call him by to get him to come to us - he told them we say "Come!" and he comes. They suggested we name him "Come". I don't think I have to tell you why Greg and I both think that's a spectacularly bad idea.
We've tried Winston. We've tried Falkor. We've tried Prancer and Neville and Hagrid. We've tried Ludo - from the move Labyrinth (tell me you've seen it?) - but Greg couldn't stop saying "LU-do... FRIEND". We've tried Mr. Tumnus and Killian. The vet and the groomer know him as the original "Owen", but we decided to try "Simon" on our way to the Doggy Social hour and the nice people running the shindig just thought he was too excited to come to his name when in reality we'd just named him Simon 5 minutes ago. We've tried Orson and Morgan and Llewellyn and Wyatt and Rusty and Dusty and Jack. Greg wanted to try Sparrow, but I vetoed it. I wanted to try Toby, but Greg Vetoed it. Personally, I've tried "You Jerk", but that didn't quite fit either.
I've got anxiety about going back to the Doggy Social Hour just because his name will probably be different - Simon definitely didn't work, it's too Val Kilmer in The Saint. "Oh no, his name's not Simon, you must have misheard us... his name is Vanderbelt the 4th."
I'm serious. He looks like he has a name. Can anyone tell me what it is?
9 comments:
We adopted a dog from out local shelter in October. They named him River because he was found wandering along River Ridge Rd. When we got him home he was quiet & gentle. He also could have cared less about the cats. We liked the idea of him having a meaning/story to his name so we kept it. It's def a name that is outside of the "box" so to speak. Keep searching, it will come.
Bailee. Or Bailey :D
It's what I think of when I look at his picture!
He looks like an Alistair.
The only two that come to mind are Hubert and, for some reason, Walter Middy. He looks like he has a rich imaginative life.
This post is so funny to me. I have a cat named Kitty (so embarrassing) because I was waiting to find out what her name was.... and in the meantime we called her kitty... to my horror, after a few weeks I realized... that had become her name. To compensate, our other cat is named Bernoulli.
I'm kind of feeling "Buddy" to be honest. Classic. Simple.
(Ludo - that is brilliant!)
A few more thoughts: Wes? Dread Pirate Roberts? Vincini? Buttercup? lol I'll stop.
Marcel
Came up with the name, then googled it. Marcel Duchamp: Artist who defied the "rules" of the art community.
Caerus - Greek God of opporunity, luck and favorable moments. Like when you found him waiting for you there at the shelter.
Check Wiki for more.
For the past 4 days I've been completely engrossed with the Twilight series of books. At one point your dog came to my mind. Weird, I know.
I don't know if you've read them, but in the book there is a character who is a 'baby' among this certain group of vampires (who do not feed on humans, but animals instead). This life is new to him and he has trouble dealing with it. He has a heart of gold, is INCREDIBLY cute, but his instinct is to bite EVERYTHING in sight (he fights it though). His name is Jasper.
jack
Post a Comment