Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Yea... I'm probably going to be talking about Christmas for a while... so shuffle up and deal yo!

I'm afraid I'm going to become the crazy cat lady in the neighborhood. The one that not only has a million cats IN her house, but also collects the strays.

About 3 days ago, when we got home from work, there was a fluffy long haired cat sitting on our door mat in front of our front door, waiting for us. Later that night, I looked out the front window and there was a different cat curled up in a flower pot, just chillin.

I'm not afraid of catching kittens. I'm not afraid of then taking them out, bathing them, feeding them, petting them, etc. But I know enough about feral cats to not want to mess with them. So why are they messing with me? Maybe they're not feral? Maybe they're siblings of the kitten I rescued? Maybe they DESPERATELY want to love me, but walls are in their way so they spend their time shivering helplessly out in the cold.

Yea. I'm doomed.

So, soon after we spotted the flower pot cat, Greg resignedly opened two cans of tuna and put them in our new! fancy! plastic! crates, and put them outside. Then we sat on the stairs in silence and waited. And nothing happpened.

For. Forever.

Then Greg got bored and went and did some laundry. So I took up a more vigilant position, abandoned by my partner. Just when I thought I should give up, I was joined by not just one...


but two more soldiers in the mission to "Save the Kitties!!!"


I haven't seen the strays since that night, but this morning there was an inch of snow on the ground and there were kitty tracks all over our front stairs, so I know they're out there.

On a less kitty-stalker-ish note, I thought I'd show you some of the handmade gifts I gave over Christmas.

Here is the combination gift I gave to my brother-in-law. This first is because he has always wanted a mustache, and despite his brother's (my husband's) ability to grow a beard with ease, it has always been a struggle for him.

Here's to facial hair!

Also, this:
I asked my my brother-in-law's wife for any particular drawing that their oldest son did - one of the family, or one that they treasured. She sent me a digital photo of this:

I cleaned it up in photoshop, and printed it on fabric. I added a title and a by line. Then I hand embroidered all of it and framed it up.

My favorite part of it, though, was after I gave it to my brother-in-law. Everyone loved it, my nephew, Owen, especially. And he was explaining who all the people were, excitedly pointing. And he pointed out that the squiggle in the belly area of the second person from the left is actually the baby in Jodi's stomach.


She's pregnant and due in February. I liked the idea of making this gift, but I had been a little apprehensive that it wouldn't be technically accurate because soon their family of four will be a family of five. But I was wrong. My nephew drew both of his brothers in that picture. It's just a really accurate snapshot of what their family was in Christmas of 2008.

:)

No comments: