And I just found this sentence:
Before that night, I'd thought it was only in movies that people could dance in the rain and not care how wet they got.And then I had a flash back.
I was very fortunate as a child to have parents who had resources to allow, and interest to push me to attend a pre-college art program. I was a sophomore in high school and I wasn't popular - in fact, I had been distinctly unpopular. I was teased, and shoved into lockers. I sat alone at lunch, voraciously reading book after book - a haven in my high school hell. But don't cry for me, Argentina, because I wasn't worth of that treatment - I was just a victim of insecure high schoolers, and whenever I was able to get amongst a new group, I could relax, be myself, and actually enjoy my peers' company.
Maryland Institute College of Art was the place of my confidence's rebirth. Despite having an agonizing crush on a boy who turned out to be gay (He loved swing dancing, cheerleading, painting, and shopping. I thought I had hit some sort of jackpot. I even pulled a classic stupid movie move when I insisted that I would be totally into taking a run around Baltimore with him and this other girl who was in the run for his attentions. I ended up almost dying about a quarter of the way through our planned route, and he ended up giving me a piggy back ride to return to campus. We stayed friends after he came out to me.). I snagged the attentions of another artsy boy who introduced me to Camper Van Beethoven and the feel of innocent stomach butterflies. My roommates (4 girls total) and I became friends with his roommates (4 guys), which was totally enviable because there were 8 guys to about 100 women in the program.
One of my most vivid memories, is being outdoors in the large court yard, playing a game of tackle soccer with an ENORMOUS Green rubber ball with designated space between certain columns as the goals. In the pouring rain. We also managed to incorporate "Dodge ball" into it by allowing the use of thrown wet socks as distractors.
It was awesome, and definitely the happiest I'd felt in a long time. I also don't think I've ever been that dirty.
Good times. Good times.
1 comment:
Hooray for CONFIDENCE!
Post a Comment