Anyway, I finally got my butt in gear and uploaded all the photos from my digital camera and I'm here to delve into a few memories.
First of all, last night at about midnight I was getting ready to go to bed when I was overcome by the irrational desire to clean out our linen closet. Our linen closet is probably only 20% occupied by "linens". It's probably 70% occupied by half-filled bottles of various body wash, conditioner, and bubble bath that I haven't been able to part with up until now and 10% occupied by medicine.
It took my husband a good 15 minutes to realize I wasn't coming to bed straight away and he should probably go figure out what nutty thing I was up to and stop me before I could get too far. So I had a good 15 minutes wherein I attacked the 3rd shelf of the closet - it looked the messiest. Turns out we had about 12 bottles of expired prescription meds taking up precious shelf space. I withdrew 3 Suave bottles, each with one application of conditioner left. There were also a veritable ton of half empty sample/hotel shampoos and shower gels that I withdrew for disposal while desperately trying to supress that OTHER crazy nutcase side of my personality that embodies the "What if it turns out that I'll need that?????" depression-era spinster woman.
Yet, when it came time to throw these away, I couldn't. It didn't sit right with me. So, instead, I did what any one of you might do while on a late-night cleaning kick while simultaneously feeling guilty for the possibility of throwing away useless crap.
I took a shower and used ALL OF THE PRODUCTS at ONCE.
Suffice to say some hotels use really funky smelling body wash, and also my hair is squeaky clean and exceedingly well conditioned.
However, what I really wanted to show you was this (expired) prescription bottle.

This bottle reminds me of some good times. The prescription itself is for my sciatic pain. This particular bottle accompanied me on one of my college a cappella group's road trips, during which we were plagued with freak blizzards, car accidents (with each other), and disease. I, personally, was delirious for most of the trip owing to a particularly high fever. Nobody had to listen to feverish ramblings because my unique brand of plague had rendered me completely mute. This was unfortunate because we were on our way to a competition where we would be singing. Yea. I could barely even wheeze.
In the days leading up to the competition, I was desperate. I tried just about every sick remedy I could get my hands on. I went to the doctor - they couldn't do anything for me. I drank warm water with honey and lemon in it, constantly. I guzzled dayquil and cough syrup. I got these tablets that are supposed to relieve coughs and congestion when you dissolve them in a hot shower - and although my eyes experienced a distinct "burning" sensation, my throat remained a thriving petri dish. I took anyone's advice who would dish it out.
There was a nice guy in the Men's group, Dimi, who is from Bulgaria, who offerred me some of HIS cough medication. He said when he takes it, he gets better IMMEDIATELY. This medicine was definitely not FDA approved, but like I said - I was desperate. Also, when I spent a month in Italy and got sick, the Pharmacist I visited gave me cough syrup that tasted like caramel and I really did feel better almost immediately. I figured that this would be a similar experience. WRONG. The stuff tasted completely awful, and it dyed the inside of my mouth dark green.
Great.
I took it with me anyway, ended up shivering with a high fever waiting to go on stage for the competition, lip sang everything with as much gusto as I could muster, and collapsed in a pathetic sickly heap afterwards.
And I spilled Dimi's medicine all over the inside of my purse, which contained my Ibuprofen meds.
This bottle stands to remind me of several things - how dedicated I was to a cappella, and how FDA-approved also means "Does not contain permanent Dye".
No comments:
Post a Comment