I used to be a voracious reader. I'm still very fast and I have a deep and abiding love for the written word, but as adulthood would have it, I don't make enough time to read. It's similar to how I don't make enough time (or determination) to exercise, but I would actually like to get around to reading more often.
When I was little I had a lot of books. I'm still not sure how he did it, but somehow my father transferred a love of books to both me and my brother. My brother is worse. My mom used to yell at him for spending absolutely all of his allowance money on books, books and more books. He couldn't get enough and still can't. My dad has a veritable science fiction library in his basement. The books line the walls two rows deep from floor to ceiling. He is constantly reading something, and he listens to books on tape in the car.
I look upon my book education with a certain amount of awe. My parents kept me surrounded by reading options - but not overwhelmed. We read together at night till I was too old for it, and when I started reading full books on my own I would stay up until 3 or 4 o clock in the morning every night, just reading. Mom wasn't too happy about that habit either but I became an expert at hearing the tiny noises of her sneaking to her bedroom door to peak out into the hallway to see if a light was showing underneath my door. I could batten down the hatches in less than 2 seconds and I was an olympic level faux sleeper.
Out of the thousands of books in our house, my dad lead me down a careful road. Out of the blue, it seemed, he would hand me a well-worn hardcover book and say "I think you're ready for this." and I would devour it like I was starving. I binged on individual authors. To this day, I greatly prefer the feel of a well-loved, old-smelling book, than one that is brand new. And the weight of hardcover books is quite simply delicious. Now I understand better that he was carefully guiding me; giving me books that helped me to grow - giving me role models and lessons and better day dreams.
I've slowed down. He still hands me books, and I love that moment - the moment when he casually tosses a book on a table in front of me and says "I think you'll like this." I know he's right. I'll probably love it. I'll probably be depressed for a week when I find out this author has only written 5 books in this series and because I didn't pace myself, there's no more! But I don't devour books like I used to because there are other things. My husband, my house, my crafts, my cats, and my physical discomfort take up all of my time now. The wings that used to carry me to Pern, Xanth, Arrakis, or Tortall have molted and are weak. I don't jump at the chance to fly away anymore because I like my life here. But my husband and I used to read to each other often. I couldn't wait to share Ender Wiggin and he couldn't wait to share Hari Seldon. Now, I want to start reading to each other again. Although we're "In the middle" of a bunch of books right now that have been on pause for quite some time, I think a fresh start is called for. In that vein, last night we began reading "Good Omens". I'm excited.
To honor that spirit, I would like to share with you some of the books that caught my imagination at a young age and helped me to grow into the lover-of-books that I am now. I would highly recommend these books to young readers.
In no particular Order:
1) Let me just mention that there is a book out there called "Ping" which is adorable and sweet and I loved it.
2) The Unicorn Who Had No Horn byMargaret Holland
This book is lovely. The illustrations aren't mind bogglingly spectacular, but they're very sweet. All of the colors and lines are very soft. The plot involves a lot of themes that I love - It is the story of a Unicorn who gets made fun of for being different - not having a horn. I won't give it away, but there is a journey and perseverence as well as flying, singing, crystals, music, tears and flowers. Again, it's lovely.3) The Baby Unicorn by Jean Marzollo and Claudio Marzollo, Illustrated by R.J. Blake
This book is very exciting. I have several of these from the same authors. The Illustrations are with bright colors, strong lines and a lot of detail. The plot devices are very imaginative. It is a story of a baby Unicorn that earns her horn in order to be considered a full-grown Unicorn to help her parents and others cast a spell over their enemy dragons. I love that this book gives detail to the saga between the unicorns and dragons. This was very special to me.4) Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney

Miss Rumphius is one of my Mom's Favorite books. She has a copy in her office and Lupines (a flower) always make her smile. This book is particularly special to me because of who I associate it with. When I was confirmed in the Presbyterian church, my mentor was the Pastor's wife. She was incredibly sweet and I truly loved her. We volunteered together and I have very vivid memories of baking cookies with her. A few years after I was confirmed, her cancer returned (she had battled it years before I knew her). She became gravely ill and eventually passed away. While she was sick I called her a few times - but I also sent her a gift. I put together a basket of things for her to open. I included a pot of baby Lupines, and this book amongst other things. I wrote a note in the front cover of this book to tell her that she didn't have to worry about planting flowers to make the world a more beautiful place because I had known her, and I had learned from her, and that made me a more beautiful person than I was before - and I knew I wasn't the only one.
It's a beautiful book. You'll love it.
5) Young Guinevere by Robert D. San Souci, Illustrated by Jamichael Henterly

These illustrations are like a feast. As I recall, this story is (obviously) about Guinevere when she's young - before she becomes queen. As child I simply could not stop staring at the cover - Her eyes, her hair - it's just too beautiful.
6) Dove Isabeau by Jane Yolen and Illustrated by Dennis Nolan

This one has a wicked queen, a beautiful innocent heroine, a terrifying dragon, a prince, and a little white cat - what more could you want? I'll tell you what more: The prince gets rescued by our heroine, the illustrations are soft but vibrant, and the day is saved by the little white cat. Exciting and sad, this tale is serious not a farce. It also explains why I loooove the name "Isabeau". Well... this, and Lady Hawke.
7) Princess Furball by Charlotte Huck and Anita Lobel

Princess Furball is very awesome alternative to the classic Cinderella tale - this isn't modernized, and again, the tale is approached with seriousness. In this book, it was the imagery I loved - My favorites being the coat made out of the fur of a thousand animals and the dresses made out of moonlight, sunlight, and starlight that each had to fit inside a walnut. The illustrations have their own unique style. This book sparked my imagination - I loved it.
8) The Twelve Dancing Princesses

This is a story that I love. Again, the imagery - the ideas - just swirl around my head in a beautiful dance. You can't go wrong with either of these two versions. If you haven't read this story, look it up. The part that dazzles me are the forests of silver, gold and diamonds.

9) Beauty and the Beast Retold and Illustrated by Carol Heyer
This one is an obvious classic, but the Illustrations in this particular version are breath taking. Ever since this book was part of my childhood, I've had a fascination with blue roses - Read it to find out why.10) East of the Sun and West of the Moon by Mercer Mayer

And last, but not least, today - East of the Sun and West of the Moon by Mercer Mayer is perhaps my most favorite childhood book. The Illustrations are rich and detailed and the story itself is exciting. This is the type of story that takes you away - it takes you to the center of the earth, to the tallest tree in the forest, and even to the front door of the North Wind.

I have been inspired by this book to do wood carvings, and paintings, and wire sculptures. At some point, I'll finish cataloging the renovation of my living room, at which point, I'll show you what I mean.
The story is about a young girl and the frog - who turns out to be a prince. But the girl is foolish and rejects the frog even after a promise she made, and so the spurned frog turns into a prince, and is carried away by trolls and demons because now he will be wed to a troll princess. She has to find the kingdom East of the Sun and West of the Moon in order to save her prince.At the end of the tale, there are a few magical lines - something to do with "And to this day, if a traveler asks how to get to the City East of the Sun and West of the Moon the answer would be it is a difficult path to travel, but once you get there you will find a warm welcome within. " This thought got me through the first hard months in Pittsburgh being so far away from Family and Friends. The truth of it has stayed with me and now I am doing a wood carving based on it, that we will mount above our fireplace.
My home has become my own special kingdom East of the Sun and West of the Moon.
What are your favorite Children's books?
3 comments:
"Spice, The Spice is Life."
Not much of a reader back in the day or even now. I loved Tiki Tiki Tembo and the George and Martha series as a young child.
This brought back so many members of my own childhood. My mother was the one who was always handing me a book (and she definitely handed me the Pern series and the Xanth series, which I now own all of her copies off, worn old books indeed!).
I saved a few of those book recommendations to my wishlist. Thanks so much, they were ones I haven't seen yet but it looks like we have similar taste in books!
Some of my favorite books as a child (these are chapter books) were The Secret Garden, The Borrowers, Anne of Green Gables.
I did exactly what you mentioned, I'd read one book that my mom recommended and then I'd be reading every book our library had by that author. It was always sad to find out they only had a couple of books out and I loved long series.
That last book is beautiful! It reminds me of Arthur Rackham, who was one of my favorites as a child. If you aren't familiar with his work, you should check it out.
I loved Moses the Kitten (cute story), Rumpelstiltskin by Paul Zelinksy (beautiful), and the Dwindling Party by Edward Gorey (wonderfully twisted).
Post a Comment