I really have no idea if anyone out there is anticipating the opening of my etsy store... other than my mom. So although I'm totally stressing out, I'm also feeling a pinch of foolishness pervading my operations.
Imagine this booth - a real, wood and nails booth - at a larger craft fair called "etsy". And at this booth there's my banner, all neat and straight, hanging across the top. And I still have a red curtain hanging in the front so no one can see anything. And all the while, the antics behind that curtain have been cartoonish. There's flailing and metallic crashes, there are wooshing sounds, yelps and the brief silhouettes of awkward body positions as someone trips into that curtain.
That tripping, yelping, whooshing someone is me. And it's even more awkward because - dude, probably no one cares. I could say "HAH! Just kidding! I'll open my store NEXT WEEK!!! The whole "8/20/2008" Date was TOTALLY a typo, I meant 8/30/2008. My bad! Look! Something shiny!" and it wouldn't matter! I could stop tripping, actually look where I'm walking - slow the pace - and forget about adhering to that, uh, *cough* typo date.
The thing is that I ALSO got asked to do a segment on a radio broadcast for TerriO.
Terri Ouellette, known to her fans as "Terri O" is a two-time Emmy award winning television personality. As a home arts expert Terri O shares her passion for creativity thru her book and television appearances across the country. Terri O's outgoing & unique outlook on creativity inspires even the "not-so-crafty" with her "here's what not to do" approach. For 5 years and still running the Craft & Hobby Association, has chosen Terri O to show America how to be creative via in studio appearances and Satellite media tours.Now, despite the fact that I'm introverted, I can hold a conversation with the best of them and I know I'm a good public speaker. But can I tell you a secret? I might minorly, a little bit, be a tad freaked out. They contacted me through craftster and they want to talk about redoing your craft space. I'm fairly sure they're not going to want to hear that I painted the walls "Jamaican Sea" and I think it's pretty - but what more is there to say? I'm sure there IS more to say, it's just that at the moment my brain is doing a good impression of a deer in headlights and I can't think because that truck there is going to hit me and I think I'll just close my eyes so I can't see it coming.
Listeners can log in and listen to archived shows on demand and all segments can be downloaded through I-Tunes. As soon as I know more, I'll let you know. They've told me that I can plug my store opening, etc. - so the timing is perfect and I'd be a big baby if I put off buckling down to figure out shipping costs just because I'm tired.
Hopefully all will be well by midnight tonight when, in a spectacular display of determination and courage (or not...), I officially open Crafty Intentions.
On another note, the Olympics are slowly killing my husband and me. Yesterday, I had McDonalds for dinner while watching it, in protest - because that was the most wrong thing I could think of doing. Yelling at Bob Costas doesn't seem to be doing the trick.
Can I share another secret confession with you? I've had enough of Michael Phelps. There are a MILLION events that happen at the Olympics and the majority of the time I've watched it seems to be replay after replay of Michael Phelps swimming back and forth and back and forth in the same swimming pool. I also don't feel like wasting precious sleep time while Michael is interviewed for the 19th time, asking for any wisdom or perspective he's gained on life as a whole after demonstrating his swimming prowess for the 18 billionth time - because maybe he had an epiphany, a moral revelation, after that 17,999,999,999th time. Did you know that the USA Women's Sabre fencers swept the medals stand - Gold, Silver and Bronze? I don't know if I missed the special they did on those ladies, but I have a sinking feeling I didn't. Phelps is a great athlete, and we, as a nation should be so proud of him - I loved watching his races. But, there's more out there and shouldn't we be just as excited to watch other athletes? Shouldn't we be discontent to merely see the medals ceremony of the shotput? Shouldn't we be clamoring for the whole story? It's not Michael Phelps' fault. He's done a great job for himself and his country. It's not gymnastics' fault that it's such a popular sport to watch when the olympics come around. But I, for one, would love to see some of the OTHER athletes strive for bronze, silver, and gold.
Now, after that tirade, I'll leave you with something fun.
This is me:

This is my husband:
And you can make your own avatar at: www.faceyourmanga.com
It's fun. Try it :)
6 comments:
Hey Megan! I found your blog today, and have been reading through all your adventures so far. I love your craft room, it's so wonderful and tempting! And the job done on the bathroom is also awesome, the end result is simply beautiful.
I'm a crafter myself, amazingly enough I'm also named Meagan, and have a significant other who can't stop building things too!
Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that there IS someone else reading your blog, and looking forward to more posts! :D
These are opportunities of a lifetime. I bet your wedding was super stressful, but you loved every minute of it!
I've done TV news spots before. Boring health care stuff. It's easy because you give them questions they ask you, so you know what's coming. Maybe bring your pictures to help you remember. The room you created is so inspiring.
Push through, all your hard work is paying off! Or will be soon!
I AM TOTALLY AWAITING YOUR ETSY STORE! I have been lurking over your things since I found you on craftster and was tickled pink seeing that you were opening a store! I even almost sent you a little message on etsy, but I thought you may think I was a crazy. :] Anywho, I'm ready - and I will totally be checking it out tomorrow.
I'me very interested to see what you'll be offering in the new shop.
Perhaps a piece of that fabulous craft studio?
1) your craft room is awesome and should be shared with the world in every possible way
2) I agree 100% about the need to cover other athletes/sports. It drove me nuts when I lived in the US that I couldn't see any coverage of fencing to save my life. This year is better - I'm watching it all online and get to pick what I watch (and Canada tends to cover more of a variety of events).
Post a Comment