Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Modulation and I hold the high note.....

I really love it when I read blogs that are upbeat and cheery. I like it when people sign off with "cheers!" and include brilliantly colored photos. Bloggers than demonstrate that sweet level of chipperness make me want to pinch their cheeks and braid their hair.

When I sit down to write, however, I am inclined towards the complaining and sarcastic. It's a struggle to share the bright spots of my day in addition to the rotten ones. So, special for today, I'm going to make an effort to keep the bright and the stinky evenly matched.

Negative! Girl who sits next to me:

I work in a cubicle and I will not talk about my work or where I work, because if there's one thing Heather Armstrong of Dooce.com has taught me it's that Mormons have funny underpants. If there's a second thing she's taught me, it's not to mention your work in your blog. This complaint has to do with the high school student hired as a temp by someone to do who knows what. She's been working here for a few weeks and increasingly getting on my nerves. I know kids have their new fangled slang, etc., but does she really need to replace an upbeat "Hello?" with a valley-girl style "whaaaaat" whenever she answers her phone? She also says 'Really.' after every answer to every question she asks. You wouldn't think it would be annoying, but I find myself gripping my desk, white-knuckled, in order to restrain myself from calling out "YES. FOR THE LOVE OF CHEESE. REALLY. FOR REAL. YES." And yesterday she added two new ones to her repertoire of things-that-annoy-me. She was visited by a friend and for three hours they personally reviewed about 300 people on facebook. There was a constant stream of "He's really hot... Like hot." and "She's sooooo gay." AND she started making a noise that sounded like she was either trying to devour her whole cubicle by snorting it, or one of her lungs had leapt out of her body and she was trying to snarf it back up through her nostrils. I had a desperate desire to ask her if she'd like a tissue. I didn't because I was afraid that instead of asking, I'd walk over, ask her if her mother ever taught her how to blow her nose, and start arbitrarily shoving tissues in her face until my twitching subsided.

Positive! Finger Puppets!:

Here's a little something I've been saving for a rainy day. I love these little guys and they're not too difficult to make.

I have visions of being able to make sets... An octopus, a seahorse, and 3 different kinds of fishes. A Lion, a bear, and an alligator. A pig, a bunny, a cow, a horse, and a sheep. A peacock, a dragon, a unicorn.

This dragon is cute, but I think I'll go for different wings next time.
The problem is that once I've finished one, I know how to make more of that, but why would I want to? There are so many other options and ideas. There are so many other possibilities for little finger puppet animals. I'm so focused on so many things, but crafting just brings out the ADD in me.

Cheers!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I love the "Cheers" at the end. Way to bring it around!
Reading about the "stinky" parts of other peoples lives helps me to remember it happens to everyone.
I always get a kick thinking about the big reality check teenagers are in for!
I would like to see a cute little crab finger puppet.

Megan said...

A crab... that's a good one! Thanks!!!

Serial Mommy said...

the finger puppets are A-DORABLE!!! i lah-lah-love them (thank you molly shannon! it was her right?)...and i completely feel you on the teenage dribble...i live in a college town, i work at wal-mart, i deal with the brainless girls and "dudes" on a regular basis...yes, like totally!!! i ive in a state that is NO WHERE NEAR AN OCEAN...please oh please oh please leave the valley girl in cali and find your midwestern accent, pronto! and please, take out the like cause sweetie, if you sound like an idiot, i'm gonna treat you like you left your brains to ferment in the jack daniels bottle at home, which ironically enough, is probably EXACTLY where they are!