I set out to create a way to reach out to other crafters and amazing people that I'm sure are out there - In part to be held accountable for skipping my way from project to project like a sugar crazed three year old - and I can't manage to post more often than... Once.
You know - I have no problem reading other blogs. Perhaps it's because of an innate fear that I'll say something that might offend someone somewhere. This is a fear that's grounded in reality, because I did that once. I lost a friend in the process. To me, this means that A) She wasn't that good of a friend to begin with, B) I am a jerk, C) Blogging is serious business.
I also created this blog as a way to document my projects and - even if not prompted by others to finish the things I've started - be motivated to post finished products and projects and therefore FINISH those products and projects.
Part of my problem is photography. I have a digital camera - that's all I need!! Right? ... right?
Then I read lengthy discussions of photo techniques and photo boxes and lighting and I start curling up into a ball on the floor.
When I finally get a grip, I realize that I can just get my husband to do it! The problem there is that he's pretty busy also. Not only do I heap tons of projects on myself... I tend to do the same to him. Our house is a pretty substantial fixer-upper and my husband is a pretty handy handy-man. So far he has replaced almost all of the electric, installed a new first floor (laminate), added fluorescent lighting to the basement, taken out drop ceilings, installed 3 ceiling fans, re-structured our second floor, renovated our master closet and renovated our bathroom (including tiling, plumbing, walls, and painting). I'm sure there are countless other mile markers that I'm missing, and I couldn't be any prouder to call him my man.
Now - stay with me here - In order to write in this blog, I have to have something to write about. In order to have something to write about, I have to work on and finish crafts (because that's what this is here for). In order to work on and finish crafts, I have to have space to craft in and materials to craft with. I have (plenty of) materials to craft with. They even seem to be reproducing like tribbles... all over my living room couch... and coffee table... and any shelving available... and floor... all of which leads to a lack of space. It's a ten minute ordeal to clear space enough to put down a soup bowl on the coffee table for dinner.
There's a part of me that loves it. I rejoice at the colors strewn about, I love my fabric stash, I whisper sweet nothings to my ribbon spools and tend to pet my thread when my husband's not looking -- don't even get me started on felt.
The other part of me hates it. I'm completely overwhelmed at the lack of order and structure. I hate that my fabrics aren't color coded. I hate that there are a ton of unfinished projects. It gets to the point where I very much want to craft - but instead I sit and stare at the mess, mesmerized. I can't work on crafts because there's too much mess and too little space. I can't clean up the mess because there are too many crafts I want to work on and I need all of the materials out and at my finger tips.
And so despite the fact that I have finished several projects - I have been putting off writing anything about them because I would like a clean slate for the beginning of this blog, and my craft adventures (possibly including delving into selling things on Etsy).
Therefore, I vow that my next entry here will be a full and complete documentation of the renovation of our front bedroom into a "state of the art, digital, virtual, interactive studio"... or maybe just a really cool craft room.
Stay tuned.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment